• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moon Landings

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moon Landings

50 years ago yesterday. Fir me, still the most amazing human achievement.

Anyone old enough to remember it?

Exciting time to have been growing up what with that and Brian Trubshaw going overhead on his test flights out of Filton.

Yes.

And stayed up until 04:00 watching the "One small step for Man".

Next.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
      50 years ago yesterday. Fir me, still the most amazing human achievement.

Anyone old enough to remember it?

Exciting time to have been growing up what with that and Brian Trubshaw going overhead on his test flights out of Filton.
      Fifty years ago come Saturday for the landing, Sunday for setting foot on the surface. Yesterday was 50 years since takeoff.

And yes, I remember that day (21 July 1969) well. We went to to the Lake District; on the way back, we encountered a terrible accident on the M6 involving three or four cars, one of which had overturned. The driver was trapped inside bleeding from an artery in his temple. My great aunt, a nurse, laid on the carriageway in pouring rain reaching into the car to put pressure on the artery for nearly an hour until the fire brigade were able to get him out.

Though I also remember it for the moon landing, as I was really into Apollo

And don't forget, you can relive it in real time here: Apollo 11 in Real Time

Comment

I notice R4 are doing a day by day from the actual transcripts/audio. Caught the launch and apart from the patronising voice over its very good.
        Launch

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
          Yes.

And stayed up until 04:00 watching the "One small step for Man".

Next.
          Me too. Followed the whole thing, start to finish.

Not as gripping as Apollo 13 though, that transfixed the whole damned world.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I've been listening to the BBC podcast 13 Minutes to the Moon while out on my morning cycle.

Basically, it's a breakdown of the 13 minute descent to the surface and the history of the technology that got them there. Includes an episode on the onboard computer - had never heard of core rope memory before, way before my time

Software written by MIT programmers was woven into core rope memory by female workers in factories. Some programmers nicknamed the finished product LOL memory, for Little Old Lady memory

Comment

I was 3 months old at the time. Can't say I remember it very well. I do remember the Voyager missions. To see close ups of Pluto four years ago was amazing.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I was dragged in front of the TV and forced to watch it. I actually enjoyed it and enjoy remembering it.

What I object to is the deluge of news about this. Our society has way too much looking back. It needs to look forwards more.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  I was dragged in front of the TV and forced to watch it.
                  Me too. Even as a kid I knew it was important.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                    Me too. Even as a kid I knew it was important.
                    I remember a program that compared 1944 to 1969 to 1994.

How much progress 44 to 69. And it stayed the same in so many ways 69 to 94.

Comment

Working...
                    X