• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

By passing the agent after offer but before start date....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By passing the agent after offer but before start date....

Provisionally boomed to start on the 29th, during the initial discussions with the agent I mentioned I had the last two weeks of August booked to go away. Turns out he hasn’t informed the client so they don’t know, I never mentioned it in the interview as it wasn’t asked (ok possibly my bad on that one)

Would you bypass the agent and contact the client advising them of the holiday, or rock up on day one and say any the way in three weeks time I’m buggering off for a fortnight?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Provisionally boomed to start on the 29th, during the initial discussions with the agent I mentioned I had the last two weeks of August booked to go away. Turns out he hasn’t informed the client so they don’t know, I never mentioned it in the interview as it wasn’t asked (ok possibly my bad on that one)

Would you bypass the agent and contact the client advising them of the holiday, or rock up on day one and say any the way in three weeks time I’m buggering off for a fortnight?
    Honesty is the best policy. Build your business on quality and integrity!

Failing that invoke the substitution clause. How many Gladiators have you currently got not bleeding radiators?
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

You need to tell the client, it's not their fault. Just call and say I'm sure the agent has told you already but im away from this date...

If you leave it to the agent then you don't know if the agent is going to drop you in it.

Comment

the latter.... always...
        don't jeapordise the engagement.....
        It's the agent's fauilt for not informing.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

+1 to the above as well.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
            Honesty is the best policy. Build your business on quality and integrity!

Failing that invoke the substitution clause. How many Gladiators have you currently got not bleeding radiators?
            +1 for sub.

Comment

Yeh I'd tell the client as someone else said "Im sure agent has told you etc".

I've had agents do this twice to me. I guess they are thinking "Oh no, I've sorted the deal and now this dumbass contractor is putting a spanner in there by wanting two weeks off. It might upset the client and they pull it".

So they don't tell the client at all. They're thinking, I guess, is get the contractor on site and started and deny all knowledge. Once the contractor is there, then if client kicks off and moans about contractors not telling them then contractor will have to cancel they're holidays.... Or sort it out themselves.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                Yeh I'd tell the client as someone else said "Im sure agent has told you etc".

I've had agents do this twice to me. I guess they are thinking "Oh no, I've sorted the deal and now this dumbass contractor is putting a spanner in there by wanting two weeks off. It might upset the client and they pull it".

So they don't tell the client at all. They're thinking, I guess, is get the contractor on site and started and deny all knowledge. Once the contractor is there, then if client kicks off and moans about contractors not telling them then contractor will have to cancel they're holidays.... Or sort it out themselves.
                Course they did bro!
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Cancel your plans and honour the contract you've committed to.

You need to stop thinking like a permie - contractors don't get "holiday". Has 23k+ posts on these pages taught you nothing?!

Comment

Originally posted by fiisch View Post
                    Cancel your plans and honour the contract you've committed to.

You need to stop thinking like a permie - contractors don't get "holiday". Has 23k+ posts on these pages taught you nothing?!
                    I'm sure the contract is properly checked and there is no MOO so by going on a holiday for a period you are still honoring the contract.

Speaking of Holidays - sure contractors have them, one of the best parts of being a contractor vs permie is that you don't have to rely on approval to do so.

You are probably confusing Holiday with leave/annual leave.

Comment

Working...
                    X