By passing the agent after offer but before start date.... By passing the agent after offer but before start date....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1

    TykeLike

    SimonMac is a fount of knowledge

    SimonMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    God's Own Republic Of Yorkshire
    Posts
    23,214

    Default By passing the agent after offer but before start date....

    Provisionally boomed to start on the 29th, during the initial discussions with the agent I mentioned I had the last two weeks of August booked to go away. Turns out he hasn’t informed the client so they don’t know, I never mentioned it in the interview as it wasn’t asked (ok possibly my bad on that one)

    Would you bypass the agent and contact the client advising them of the holiday, or rock up on day one and say any the way in three weeks time I’m buggering off for a fortnight?
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

    ― Marcus Aurelius

  2. #2

    Super poster

    Zigenare - scorchio!

    Zigenare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    3,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimonMac View Post
    Provisionally boomed to start on the 29th, during the initial discussions with the agent I mentioned I had the last two weeks of August booked to go away. Turns out he hasn’t informed the client so they don’t know, I never mentioned it in the interview as it wasn’t asked (ok possibly my bad on that one)

    Would you bypass the agent and contact the client advising them of the holiday, or rock up on day one and say any the way in three weeks time I’m buggering off for a fortnight?
    Honesty is the best policy. Build your business on quality and integrity!

    Failing that invoke the substitution clause. How many Gladiators have you currently got not bleeding radiators?
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg
    Given that you refuse to work for Jews, because you believe that they are only out for themselves and that they see gentiles as just there to be used, WGAS what you think.
    You do me old chum, obviously

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg View Post
    Churchy says that May Day is a Zionist Occupation Government conspiracy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg
    Only it is somewhat suspicious that this unsubstantiated claim has been made against the object of Alt-Right antisemitic conspiracy lies.

  3. #3

    Super poster

    woohoo is a fount of knowledge

    woohoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In the country
    Posts
    4,296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimonMac View Post
    Provisionally boomed to start on the 29th, during the initial discussions with the agent I mentioned I had the last two weeks of August booked to go away. Turns out he hasn’t informed the client so they don’t know, I never mentioned it in the interview as it wasn’t asked (ok possibly my bad on that one)

    Would you bypass the agent and contact the client advising them of the holiday, or rock up on day one and say any the way in three weeks time I’m buggering off for a fortnight?
    You need to tell the client, it's not their fault. Just call and say I'm sure the agent has told you already but im away from this date...

    If you leave it to the agent then you don't know if the agent is going to drop you in it.

  4. #4

    Super poster

    Lance - scorchio!

    Lance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    home
    Posts
    4,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimonMac View Post
    Provisionally boomed to start on the 29th, during the initial discussions with the agent I mentioned I had the last two weeks of August booked to go away. Turns out he hasn’t informed the client so they don’t know, I never mentioned it in the interview as it wasn’t asked (ok possibly my bad on that one)

    Would you bypass the agent and contact the client advising them of the holiday, or rock up on day one and say any the way in three weeks time I’m buggering off for a fortnight?
    the latter.... always...
    don't jeapordise the engagement.....
    It's the agent's fauilt for not informing.
    See You Next Tuesday

  5. #5

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk is always on top

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    40,447

    Default

    +1 to the above as well.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  6. #6

    I live on CUK

    Old Greg is a fount of knowledge

    Old Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Tombliboo Bush
    Posts
    22,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zigenare View Post
    Honesty is the best policy. Build your business on quality and integrity!

    Failing that invoke the substitution clause. How many Gladiators have you currently got not bleeding radiators?
    +1 for sub.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

  7. #7

    Ddraig Goch

    psychocandy - scorchio!


    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Cymru
    Posts
    10,136

    Default

    Yeh I'd tell the client as someone else said "Im sure agent has told you etc".

    I've had agents do this twice to me. I guess they are thinking "Oh no, I've sorted the deal and now this dumbass contractor is putting a spanner in there by wanting two weeks off. It might upset the client and they pull it".

    So they don't tell the client at all. They're thinking, I guess, is get the contractor on site and started and deny all knowledge. Once the contractor is there, then if client kicks off and moans about contractors not telling them then contractor will have to cancel they're holidays.... Or sort it out themselves.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

  8. #8

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk is always on top

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    40,447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psychocandy View Post
    Yeh I'd tell the client as someone else said "Im sure agent has told you etc".

    I've had agents do this twice to me. I guess they are thinking "Oh no, I've sorted the deal and now this dumbass contractor is putting a spanner in there by wanting two weeks off. It might upset the client and they pull it".

    So they don't tell the client at all. They're thinking, I guess, is get the contractor on site and started and deny all knowledge. Once the contractor is there, then if client kicks off and moans about contractors not telling them then contractor will have to cancel they're holidays.... Or sort it out themselves.
    Course they did bro!
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  9. #9

    Should post faster

    fiisch is a permanent contractor


    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    192

    Default

    Cancel your plans and honour the contract you've committed to.

    You need to stop thinking like a permie - contractors don't get "holiday". Has 23k+ posts on these pages taught you nothing?!

  10. #10

    Contractor Among Contractors

    sal 's job has never been outsourced


    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,744

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fiisch View Post
    Cancel your plans and honour the contract you've committed to.

    You need to stop thinking like a permie - contractors don't get "holiday". Has 23k+ posts on these pages taught you nothing?!
    I'm sure the contract is properly checked and there is no MOO so by going on a holiday for a period you are still honoring the contract.

    Speaking of Holidays - sure contractors have them, one of the best parts of being a contractor vs permie is that you don't have to rely on approval to do so.

    You are probably confusing Holiday with leave/annual leave.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •