• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car cruise crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car cruise crash

Stevenage 'car cruise' crash leaves 17 injured - BBC News

Do you have any sympathy?

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    None at all.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I can't believe the police allowed this to go ahead on a public road. And from what I've seen they haven't arrested anyone. So next time you fancy doing a bit of 40 in a 30 zone, it seems Hertfordshire is the place to go.

And no, I don't have any sympathy (I assume you mean for the injured). The idiots in the cars were "performing" to the crowd, so if you're part of the audience you're part of the problem.
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
        I can't believe the police allowed this to go ahead on a public road. And from what I've seen they haven't arrested anyone. So next time you fancy doing a bit of 40 in a 30 zone, it seems Hertfordshire is the place to go.

And no, I don't have any sympathy (I assume you mean for the injured). The idiots in the cars were "performing" to the crowd, so if you're part of the audience you're part of the problem.
        I don't think the police knew about this?

From the article: -
        A group called Cruise-Herts had said it was holding a cruise event on Thursday where people would gather to look at modified cars.
        Organiser Rix Sidhu said he had been organising similar meets for 17 years and the gathering on Thursday was to raise money for charity.

I hope the police arrest him.

Comment

Point of Order: this would appear to have been aranged as a "parked event" i.e. the event took place inside the retail park car park. The cars that were on the road would have been going to/from the event or running their own side-show.

Foreseeable accident?

Possibly, but the responsibility for the public roads rests with the police.
          ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
          Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

I don't think the police knew about this?

From the article: -
            A group called Cruise-Herts had said it was holding a cruise event on Thursday where people would gather to look at modified cars.
            Organiser Rix Sidhu said he had been organising similar meets for 17 years and the gathering on Thursday was to raise money for charity.

I hope the police arrest him.
            From Sky News:

"We have a liaison officer to pass number plates to police if there is ever any trouble; we try to make it as safe as possible."
            Of course the police knew about it. I'm surprised they didn't turn up to hand out speeding fines.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
              From Sky News:

Of course the police knew about it. I'm surprised they didn't turn up to hand out speeding fines.
              Nope, that quote doesn't say the police knew about it. It says that the organisers have someone who is supposed to pass details on to the police of anyone they think is breaking the law - when they spot it has happened, not before the event.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
                Point of Order: this would appear to have been aranged as a "parked event" i.e. the event took place inside the retail park car park.

So, the retail car park's security aren't doing that good a job if they are happy for these things to happen. They are quick enough to hand out fines if someone parks in a car park for more than an hour, but don't do anything outside those times.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Accidents happen.

They're more likely to happen if you **** about.

Looks like there's been some serious ******* about!
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    Nope, that quote doesn't say the police knew about it. It says that the organisers have someone who is supposed to pass details on to the police of anyone they think is breaking the law - when they spot it has happened, not before the event.
                    If the event has been going on for 17 years, and the police are in contact with the organisers, I'm making the (possibly large) assumption that the police knew about it. Because if they didn't, someone in "police intelligence" is in some serious tulip. It must have been quite widely advertised for that many people to turn up, it seems unlikely that the police were oblivious, although incompetence is always a possibility.

Comment

Working...
                    X