• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What do you see as the core benefit of contracting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by RyanDS View Post

Holidays - I like to backpack. I generally work 3 months on, backpack for 3 weeks, repeat. Occasionally some of the backpacking time is working remotely, but I am happy to be on a beach in Cambodia working, or logging in from a hotel in Moscow, or debugging while on an overnight bus in Guatemala. The important thing is the contracting lets me travel.

Anyway, the contract I am on has offered me a perm role, with generous holiday, but more importantly a "you can spend one month a year working remotely no questions asked" clause. Which means I get the perks of perm, plus the main perk of contracting for me.
      Huh? I fail to see the logic of what you've written. Having one month a year working remotely is hardly equivalent to having three months a year not working at all.
      And what are the "perks of perm", and why do you want them? Have you seen a psychiatrist?

Don't do it man!*

* Of course there might be other factors in your decision you haven't listed, such as the influence of a weapon of mass financial destruction a.k.a. a woman.

Comment

For me, it's about flexibility and variety. I get a bit bored if I'm one place for too long and find that short/no notice periods means I can move on when I start to get itchy feet.

I very much dislike office politics and 360 PDRs to justify a 1% pay rise each year.

I like deciding how long my holidays are going to be or how much time I take off each year without getting permission to take it.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          For me, it's about flexibility and variety. I get a bit bored if I'm one place for too long and find that short/no notice periods means I can move on when I start to get itchy feet.

I very much dislike office politics and 360 PDRs to justify a 1% pay rise each year.

I like deciding how long my holidays are going to be or how much time I take off each year without getting permission to take it.
          This
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Being able to doing a moonlight flit having raided the stationary cupboard one too many times....
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              Being able to doing a moonlight flit having raided the stationary cupboard one too many times....
              At least a stationary cupboard can't chase after you.

Comment

I agree..

trick is to not take it seriously - we get a cost of living rise each year anyway so.....

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  I agree..

trick is to not take it seriously - we get a cost of living rise each year anyway so.....
                  I just got an 18% increase on my rate at renewal.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    I just got an 18% increase on my rate at renewal.

Comment

Almost makes up for rates being pretty stagnant over the last decade.

Comment

Working...
                      X