• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What do you see as the core benefit of contracting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    I just got an 18% increase on my rate at renewal.
    You're working too hard. I've negotiated 3 days a week, all WFH
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

I just got an 18% increase on my rate at renewal.
      Useful - do you think you will ever get to a point where you do some tasks for other people for the fun of it and not because you need the money?

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
        What laptop do you use?

I presume it's one that's a suitable balance of power and ram to run the dev tools, decent battery to allow a good few hours use while on a bus or somewhere with no power socket, light for portability, and not too expensive in case you get robbed or mugged.

As to your question, the main benefit of contracting is it gives you more flexibility and freedom to choose life over work, as you've found.
        Surface pro all the way. Sure they are pricey, but the size, power and battery are the best I have found for any laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by RyanDS View Post
          Surface pro all the way. Sure they are pricey, but the size, power and battery are the best I have found for any laptop.
          Still toying with getting one of them or the new XPS 13

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Still toying with getting one of them or the new XPS 13
            I have the XPS 15 with 1 TB NVMe, 32GB memory, 4K touchscreen, docking station, etc... which the company provided me with and must say, very nice and just the right size.
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              I have the XPS 15 with 1 TB NVMe, 32GB memory, 4K touchscreen, docking station, etc... which the company provided me with and must say, very nice and just the right size.
              I've got a groany old dell win10/ linux mint thing.
              good enough to run a VPN client with MSoffice and multiple TN3270 sessions.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                No problems considering the right roles for me. I'm tempted to go for a perm role where I am at present. Best gig I've had while contracting and it's gonna be a gutter to go back to living away and all that after this. I'm tied in knots about the money, which would be a big drop but I'm pretty comfortable, so it's just the principle in my head that is the problem.. and the thought that I enjoyed going to the new gigs, away or not, so have I just got too comfortable here and I would actually enjoy the next away gig as I've always done.

Plenty of time to ponder yet.

Add to that the smart cookies should be taking the tasty roles now. They could be a bit few and far between from say Oct onward (because it's always quiet around xmas anyway and then there could be a rush in the run up to 2020 in the new year).

All said and done, you take the perm gig and if you don't like it leave and start again. Just view it as a poorly paid role for a period, although notice periods could be an issue.
                This exactly for me. I too have been asked to go perm (or rather, if I would consider going perm) and I would love to. Second time aorund at this client with an 8 year break and I have to say I love it here...but just bought a big house...yada yada yada. I have a few more months..and maybe another extension to go before i truly have to decide though
                Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  Useful - do you think you will ever get to a point where you do some tasks for other people for the fun of it and not because you need the money?
                  Like volunteering? I'm involved in a minor way in a couple of local groups.

Comment

Like volunteering? I'm involved in a minor way in a couple of local groups.
                    Forgive me, but why did a “dogging” group immediately enter my mind

You probably build engines or such like

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                      Forgive me, but why did a “dogging” group immediately enter my mind

You probably build engines or such like

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                      Because you spend your time hiding behind trees masturbating at the sight of doggers, but lack the self confidence to join in.

HTH

Comment

Working...
                      X