• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Special Relationship

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Special Relationship

UK must look after its own ships in the Gulf, says Pompeo

US secretary of state’s comment reflects tensions with UK over Iran nuclear deal

UK must look after its own ships in the Gulf, says Pompeo | World news | The Guardian

I thought this thread was going to be about you and that special squirrel you met recently?

Comment

Yup.

The "Special Relationship" doesn't look so special now.

Good to know they're such reliable allies.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        I thought this thread was going to be about you and that special squirrel you met recently?
        She wouldn't sign the pre-nut.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          That relationship faltered somewhat when Alexei announced that he was paying for pussy!
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
            Yup.

The "Special Relationship" doesn't look so special now.

Good to know they're such reliable allies.
            Bear in mind the UK has been whittling away at its armed forces for years now. For example, I think the Navy is only around a quarter the size it was even 20 years ago, and the army and air force is probablyl much the same.

So this is the US's tough way of reminding us we can't go on assuming that every foreign power will be nice to us and reasonable in this rational and civilized post-modern era. Instead they will inevitably start taking liberties as soon as they sense any weakness, just as they have since the dawn of history.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              Bear in mind the UK has been whittling away at its armed forces for years now. For example, I think the Navy is only around a quarter the size it was even 20 years ago, and the army and air force is probablyl much the same.

So this is the US's tough way of reminding us we can't go on assuming that every foreign power will be nice to us and reasonable in this rational and civilized post-modern era. Instead they will inevitably start taking liberties as soon as they sense any weakness, just as they have since the dawn of history.
              What?

We're not a superpower any more?

Gad, it'll frighten the horses.

Comment

Convoys - that worked before. A couple of Type 26's ought to be able to cover a dozen tankers and knock seven shades out of anything those camel botherers can dream up. Job done.

Comment

A picture:

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

And we can thank the genii in power since 2010 for much of that cheese paring.

Just encountered something that Chamberlain said:

Originally posted by Neville "Peace In Our Time" Chamberlain
                    It is always best and safest to count on nothing from the Americans but words
                    I like this one too:

Originally posted by WSC
                    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 23 July 2019, 14:28.

Comment

Working...
                    X