• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract programmer faces 10 years for inserting 'logic bomb' to keep getting rehired

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract programmer faces 10 years for inserting 'logic bomb' to keep getting rehired

This gives me some ideas to get through the weak market

Contract programmer faces jail after planting 'logic bomb' - Business Insider

In this case, the logic bombs were timed to go off every few years, the government alleged, causing the spreadsheet to experience glitches like error messages and size changes to on-screen buttons, according to a report from Law360.

When the program glitched, the company would bring Tinley back in to fix it. He fixed the system by pushing back the date the spreadsheets would stop working again, the government said.
    He was busted in 2016 when he was away on vacation and Siemens had to put an urgent order through the system, which had begun glitching, according to the Law360 report. The circumstance reportedly forced Tinley to share with employees his passwords that protected the system's code — revealing the logic bomb.
    NCOTBAC

Any self respecting contractor would have billed them for a first class flight home to fix it + emergency call out fee

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
    This gives me some ideas to get through the weak market

Contract programmer faces jail after planting 'logic bomb' - Business Insider

NCOTBAC

Any self respecting contractor would have billed them for a first class flight home to fix it + emergency call out fee
    nah, secondary password, which runs a script to remove the code when used.
    then he wouldn't have had his collar felt.

Comment

I'm sure SJD had a logic bomb in my spreadsheet. I'd do my years accounting and next morning when I opened it there was nothing but a jumble of meaningless numbers that made no sense to me.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 24 July 2019, 21:01.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

oh, - what's a spreadsheet??
        is that another Powerpoint Monkey thing?

Comment

Do you think it's this?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/david-tinley-70222b31/

Home

Comment

Nice article linked in that one. Programmer automates his job - Business Insider How to automate your job.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
            X