• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Insurance cover for loaned IT Equipment?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Doesn't professional indemnity/public liability insurance cover any damage you cause to third party equipment/people etc during the course of your daily duties?

And so if client co tried to claim off you then you would claim of that.
    It probably does, but it probably won't cover theft, fire, flood etc., or one of your children getting handy with a hammer...
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      Doesn't professional indemnity/public liability insurance cover any damage you cause to third party equipment/people etc during the course of your daily duties?
      No.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
        It probably does, but it probably won't cover theft, fire, flood etc., or one of your children getting handy with a hammer...
        Nope.

PI is cover against you being not very good at your profession.
        The client, or their equipment, are not 'public'.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          Nope.

PI is cover against you being not very good at your profession.
          The client, or their equipment, are not 'public'.
          Happy to be corrected.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Happy to be corrected.
            That's lucky then
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              That's lucky then
              I've had PI for 25 years, and never once read the fine print. I did think one was "indemnified" against damage to client equipment and systems, provided it wasn't deliberate. Thankfully I've never had to claim...honest!

Perhaps I should have got PPI instead, at least I could have claimed it all back...

Comment

I've had PI for 25 years, and never once read the fine print. I did think one was "indemnified" against damage to client equipment and systems, provided it wasn't deliberate. Thankfully I've never had to claim...honest!

Perhaps I should have got PPI instead, at least I could have claimed it all back...

PI insurance is an odd one.
                Never gets claimed, and is cheap to buy. And always required.

If however, you run a real business, with employees doing work for your client, it's really expensive. It's a tickbox exercise for one-man bands. It's why they charge >£1k a day for the consultancies, and why small businesses struggle to compete. They can't charge >1k a day, but are undercut by one-man contractor companies.

A sensible client will not bother about PI as it's never claimed, but due to the risk averse nature of agencies it creates a bit of a racket. IMO. IANAL.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
                  Make sure that the status and condition of the equipment is clearly documented and signed off on by both you and a client representative before accepting it. Failure to do so may result in all sorts of headaches, like this --> Paying the damage
                  What???

I would have logged an incident 2 minutes after being given that pile of junk! What the hell was he thinking?!?
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Oh - and to the OP - treat like your own laptop and make sure you don't damage it in the first place.

(How many have you got through until now??)
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Thanks to all...

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                      Oh - and to the OP - treat like your own laptop and make sure you don't damage it in the first place.

(How many have you got through until now??)
                      Indeed. Lots of comments that are most welcome. Here is what I found out:
                      • Kingsbridge PI cover includes "property" but then excludes most cases (incl loaned equipment)
                      • Business equipment insurance covers your own equipment
                      • British Insurance Brokers’ Association (BIBA) could not find cover

I had assumed that I needed cover as the client would be asking me to sign for the laptop (an expensive one) but it could be that the client has it covered - or should do.

Thanks. If anything changes I'll get back here with comment.

Regards

Tony

Comment

Working...
                      X