• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

16 or 1

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

16 or 1

2019-08-02 Mathematician solves tricky equation that's been baffling the internet for days - so, did YOU work out the correct answer?

I reckon the answer is 16, because the multiply and divide operators conventionally have equal priority and are evaluated from left to right.

But what do you think? ..
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

The answer isthe same as how many "facts" do the Wail make up every day.....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      The answer isthe same as how many "facts" do the Wail make up every day.....

It's grammar mathematical bad.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        I reckon the answer is 16, because the multiply and divide operators conventionally have equal priority and are evaluated from left to right.

You are correct. There's no justification for doing the multiplication before the division, with the equation as written. Now explain why this is correct 230-220x0.5=5!
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Now explain why this is correct 230-220x0.5=5!
          Hehe, nearly had me! But the LHS is 120, which equals 5 factorial!
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

'But also, neither of them are, because it's just a badly written equation.' So there you go.
            Hah, I think I'm in love. I've always really struggled with these sorts of riddles because I just find them stupid - the riddle is wrong, not the answers. Incidentally, I think it's mathematically clearly 16 but the way it's written implies the writer meant 8 / (2(2+2)) . Which is ambiguity is stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              2019-08-02 Mathematician solves tricky equation that's been baffling the internet for days - so, did YOU work out the correct answer?

Is that the same as "Leave" or "Remain"?

His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
              X