• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bike for triathlon

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike for triathlon

Hello, are there any triathletes here?

I've recently started to train and aim to compete in my first race early next year (probably a sprint distance).

I don't have a bike and I'm currently training using the wattbike at my gym.

What entry-level bikes would you recommend for training and for my first bunch of races? Triathlon bikes are super expensive and ideally I'd want to use the bike to commute to work.

2 things:

- I have a budget of 500 - 1000
    - I'm 110kg so I'd need something sturdy

Thanks

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

I've recently started to train and aim to compete in my first race early next year (probably a sprint distance).

What entry-level bikes would you recommend for training and for my first bunch of races? Triathlon bikes are super expensive and ideally I'd want to use the bike to commute to work.

2 things:

Thanks
    Suggest this one, it will give that little extra over the competition

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

2 things:

Thanks
      Plenty out there for that sort of budget. Go for Aluminium rather than Carbon frames at this price. A cheap carbon frame won't be any better than aluminium for the same money and you'll get better wheels and drive train components.

For your first go pretty much any competent road bike with some clip on aero bars will do the job for you.

Check the weight limit for the wheels as 110kg will be pushing it for some of the lighter weight wheelsets, although for that budget you probably won't be looking at those anyway.

Giant are generally good value and they have their own dedicated stores where you can go and get some advice and check out the bikes.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        Plenty out there for that sort of budget. Go for Aluminium rather than Carbon frames at this price. A cheap carbon frame won't be any better than aluminium for the same money and you'll get better wheels and drive train components.

For your first go pretty much any competent road bike with some clip on aero bars will do the job for you.

Check the weight limit for the wheels as 110kg will be pushing it for some of the lighter weight wheelsets, although for that budget you probably won't be looking at those anyway.

Giant are generally good value and they have their own dedicated stores where you can go and get some advice and check out the bikes.
        Thanks, very helpful!

I've read that heavy riders should also look at the so called "adventure road bikes" which from my understanding (very limited in the subject, I have to admit) are built a bit more sturdy and have bigger tires so they are slower than standard road bikes but can take a bit more abuse.

I'll have a look at the Giant bikes, never heard of them. At the moment of all the bikes I've seen I quite like the Specialized Diverge e5

Comment

Thanks, very helpful!

I've read that heavy riders should also look at the so called "adventure road bikes" which from my understanding (very limited in the subject, I have to admit) are built a bit more sturdy and have bigger tires so they are slower than standard road bikes but can take a bit more abuse.

I'll have a look at the Giant bikes, never heard of them. At the moment of all the bikes I've seen I quite like the Specialized Diverge e5
          Giant are the biggest bike company no-one has ever heard of Currently sponsoring CCC on the grand tours and sponsored SunWeb before that.

Well priced good quality kit but don't have the brand kudos that brands like Specialized or BMC have.

Adventure bikes are a newish thing, they make good commuter bikes as they can fit fatter tyres and mudguards etc. but it's not about carrying extra weight really. Any good quality frameset will be up to the job, it's the wheels that need to be robust, and they have weight limits. Look for something with a higher spoke count, 22 or more on the front 24 or more on the back, as they will be stronger than super lightweight wheels with only 18 or 20.

My endurance bike has 28 spokes on the front and 32 on the back purely to make sure they are bomb proof on long rides. You don't want to be on the side of the road at 3 in the morning because your light weight wheel buckled on a pot hole.

For club rides I have a set with 18 and 22 spokes on the "fast" bike that I swap for 16/20 spoke carbon deep section wheels for TT's. I'm on the weight limit for those at 85kg but i'm unlikely to be riding on bad roads or gravel so they can be lighter but less robust.

If you are not racing until next year you've got time to shift some weight and save up for a set of faster wheels nearer the time.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Land Rover | Land Rover Trike
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              Giant are the biggest bike company no-one has ever heard of Currently sponsoring CCC on the grand tours and sponsored SunWeb before that.

Well priced good quality kit but don't have the brand kudos that brands like Specialized or BMC have.

Adventure bikes are a newish thing, they make good commuter bikes as they can fit fatter tyres and mudguards etc. but it's not about carrying extra weight really. Any good quality frameset will be up to the job, it's the wheels that need to be robust, and they have weight limits. Look for something with a higher spoke count, 22 or more on the front 24 or more on the back, as they will be stronger than super lightweight wheels with only 18 or 20.

My endurance bike has 28 spokes on the front and 32 on the back purely to make sure they are bomb proof on long rides. You don't want to be on the side of the road at 3 in the morning because your light weight wheel buckled on a pot hole.

For club rides I have a set with 18 and 22 spokes on the "fast" bike that I swap for 16/20 spoke carbon deep section wheels for TT's. I'm on the weight limit for those at 85kg but i'm unlikely to be riding on bad roads or gravel so they can be lighter but less robust.

If you are not racing until next year you've got time to shift some weight and save up for a set of faster wheels nearer the time.
              Checked out this Giant bikes. They do look good, also Taiwanese brand, so I trust their quality.

Thanks for the advice on wheels and spoke count. I might opt for something decent enough and then maybe upgrade the wheels with something like this if necessary Big Fella | strong wheels for big riders | Strada Hand Built Wheels

Comment

Having done a triple iron man, I recommended asking DaveB. Or tritalk.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Having done a triple iron man, I recommended asking DaveB. Or tritalk. Anybody else but me!
                  Gratis
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

I dunno about the road section, but for the watery bit you'll probably need one of these:

His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                    X