• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should the state let Michael Buerk die to save the NHS money?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    really? On what basis?
    AGW is here. We can either live more environmentally friendly(get real!) or reduce the population. Probably both are needed.

So to reduce population. We can't kill people off. We could make sure people can only have one child - but that is not easy right now.

So a start is to remove fertility treatment. However much much more will be needed.

Comment

Start with the those who are a drain on resources.
      FTFY.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        In a similar vein, what is it with child benefit? I don't understand why the state should pay me to raise a child, if I chose to have a child. I get that the intention is to stop children being raised in poverty but can't help feeling that it encourages the wrong behaviours. Why do people choose to have children when they can barely afford to feed themselves?
        Some people will have children anyway. Why should the child suffer?

Hopefully soon a guaranteed fertility method will be found so only people who can afford children can have them. Though its still hard on the child if parents lose their job or have some other sort of life changing event.

Comment

In a similar vein, what is it with child benefit? I don't understand why the state should pay me to raise a child, if I chose to have a child. I get that the intention is to stop children being raised in poverty but can't help feeling that it encourages the wrong behaviours. Why do people choose to have children when they can barely afford to feed themselves?
          Sadly for some people having 3 different coloured kids by the time they are 17 is seen as a career choice.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            Sadly for some people having 3 different coloured kids by the time they are 17 is seen as a career choice.

I agree, those kids could grow up and pay taxes to keep grumpy racists stealing oxygen for a bit longer.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              Quite a few round my part of North Wales. And the child benefit seems to get spent on cigarettes....

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                I agree, those kids could grow up and pay taxes to keep grumpy racists stealing oxygen for a bit longer.
                If only that were true.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  If only that were true.
                  Yeah sadly I think there is a certain amount of encouragement to get into that state so you can live off the state - and that is often all the kids will learn and so you end up with sometimes two or three generations of a family who have never worked and who generally frown upon their kids working.

Sterilisation is the only option really.

Comment

Not an easy one to solve. However, direct benefits such as “child benefit” does not target the welfare of children. The money is often spent elsewhere by the parent/s.
                    I believe that money is best spent on education and free school meals, that way there is a chance of the welfare cycle being broken.
                    It makes me smile when I see a chav mother with a kid that talks more intelligently than her mother.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                      Not an easy one to solve. However, direct benefits such as “child benefit” does not target the welfare of children. The money is often spent elsewhere by the parent/s.
                      I believe that money is best spent on education and free school meals, that way there is a chance of the welfare cycle being broken.
                      It makes me smile when I see a chav mother with a kid that talks more intelligently than her mother.
                      It isn't easy, I agree. I do believe, like most benefits, that they were originally conceived with the genuine desire to help people. It's just that over the years they have become a huge tax burden and I'm not sure we reap much benefit.

I also agree about education and school meals, and hopefully other initiatives, that directly help the child.

Comment

Working...
                      X