• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How should I decommission my laptop?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    I hope they're not paying very good money for this advice!

Once the data is overwritten with zeros it's not coming back without a clairvoyant...
    Can you guarantee that there isn't any residual magnetic field left from your previous 1s and 0s?
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
      Actually it's true that it takes military grade software that runs for days to really zero a disk to unrecoverable.
      Military grade? You mean like something that conforms to DOD 5220.22-M?

I'd prefer NSA (7 pass), or Gutmann (35 passes)
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
        Can you guarantee that there isn't any residual magnetic field left from your previous 1s and 0s?
        Instead of asking a question that's impossible to answer - can you show any evidence that any data has been recovered from a previously overwritten modern hard drive in the last, say 20 years?

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
          Actually it's true that it takes military grade software that runs for days to really zero a disk to unrecoverable.
          As my post above, any evidence? NIST disagree, for a start.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
            You could have saved us a whole load of arguing...

OK, wait until your basement flat is next flooded and claim a new laptop on the insurance.

Best I can do at short notice...

PS - Please explain how defenestration was ever a front runner? How pissed do you have to get that you temporarily forget you live in a basement flat?
            Ah but it was fun (at first).

I could have done some damage with defenestration as my living room window faces my little courtyard. Trouble is, I have exterior security bars (I don't live in a prison, this week) so there's a significant chance I would chuck it out the window only for it to rebound off the bars right back into my face.

Comment

And another thing!

If I'd wanted a beardy sandal wearing discussion on hard drive wiping I'd have posted in Technical

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                And another thing!

If I'd wanted a beardy sandal wearing discussion on hard drive wiping I'd have posted in Technical
                How about a minigun?
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

And another thing!

dinnae mince yer words lassie, - say what ye mean

Comment

And another thing!

This is CUK. There is only beardy sandal wearing discussion.

Personally, I’d stick the hard drive on my front lawn with a sign and then change my name and all my bank accounts. That’ll teach ‘em.

Comment

And another thing!

The thing is with mansplaining love, is often the women in question doesn't know being talked at is in her interest as we know better than she does. So show a little gratitude and make me a sandwich
                      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                      X