• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Small claims court - defendant is threatening to counter claim if I dont accept

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small claims court - defendant is threatening to counter claim if I dont accept

Long story - got into an argument a local garage who charged me £120 for towing my Mrs car in for repairs (it was 3 miles). My argument was he offered to collect and never said it would be chargeable let alone at a premium. Only found out when he presented the bill and wanted another £120 to bring it back (I got someone else to do for £40).

Anyway, the guy is a complete cock. Found out after hes got a bit of reputation for ripping people off like this. I had to pay to get the car back but complained.

Thought it'd be a laugh to take him to small claims court. Yeh its £120 so nothing but Mrs car/Mrs money so she was dead keen. And there was the entertainment value for £35 anyway.

So the guys responded - unless I accept his offer of £45 hes going to take it further and counter claim for his wasted time and the stress I caused. WTF?

Surely you can't do that. Defeats the whole object of the small claims court where the individual does not get steamrollered by superior legal resources and money.

After all, imagine taking Tesco or someone to small claims and them threatening to sue you to scare you off.

Anyone know what the rules are?
    Last edited by psychocandy; 7 August 2019, 09:21.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Long story - got into an argument a local garage who charged me £120 for towing my Mrs car in for repairs (it was 3 miles). My argument was he offered to collect and never said it would be chargeable let alone at a premium. Only found out when he presented the bill and wanted another £120 to bring it back (I got someone else to do for £40).

Anyway, the guy is a complete cock. Found out after hes got a bit of reputation for ripping people off like this. I had to pay to get the car back but complained.

Thought it'd be a laugh to take him to small claims court. Yeh its £120 so nothing but Mrs car/Mrs money so she was dead keen. And there was the entertainment value for £35 anyway.

Do the guys responded - unless I accept his offer of £45 hes going to take it further and counter claim for his wasted time and the stress I caused?

Surely you can't do that. Defeats the whole object of the small claims court where the individual does not get steamrollered by superior legal resources and money.

After all, imagine taking Tesco or someone to small claims and them threatening to sue you to scare you off.

LOL.
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
      LOL.
      I queued in Waitrose at the till for 10 mins the other day - the stress caused and time I wasted must be due a claim.

In so many words for the garage - "Basically, I tried it on with the tow fee knowing full well I implied collection was free, the person complained, surprisingly they took me to court, now I'm going to threaten them to make them drop it."
      Last edited by psychocandy; 7 August 2019, 09:24.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Do the guys responded - unless I accept his offer of £45 hes going to take it further and counter claim for his wasted time and the stress I caused?

DYOR

Help! You've been sued in the small claims court? Don't panic!
        Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Pay up what you owe and stop harassing honest workers with legal threats you are incapable of carrying out without asking for help on the Internet

Comment

I queued in Waitrose at the till for 10 mins the other day - the stress caused and time I wasted must be due a claim.

Basically, I tried it on with the tow fee knowing full well I implied collection was free, the person complained, surprisingly they took me to court, now I'm going to threaten them to make them drop it.
            So, what particular legal process is he going to use to bring this action ??

PS - If you could easily sue people for stress and wasted time, you'd never leave the court room...NLUK would have you in there daily.
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Anyway, the guy is a complete cock
              Bit rich bearing in mind you got yourself in this situation by not expecting to be charged for bloke to spend time and his equipment to collect your car and then think it's a laugh to take him to small claims for it isn't it?

You wanted an laugh and now you want digging out of it?

You're both as stupid as each other.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

In so many words for the garage - "Basically, I tried it on with the tow fee knowing full well I implied collection was free, the person complained, surprisingly they took me to court, now I'm going to threaten them to make them drop it."
                Waitrose should sue you for the cost of the security guard who follows you around.

Comment

It's cost me more in wasted time to read this thread. Grow-up.
                  ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                  Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Bit rich bearing in mind you got yourself in this situation by not expecting to be charged for bloke to spend time and his equipment to collect your car and then think it's a laugh to take him to small claims for it isn't it?

You wanted an laugh and now you want digging out of it?

You're both as stupid as each other.
                    Discouraging crooks is a civic duty.

I'm team Candy.

Comment

Working...
                    X