• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public Sector Day Cap?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public Sector Day Cap?

I am working as a part time contractor as well as delivering some Global projects using my off-shoring company in India. My day rates are

- Big Client £1000-£1200 on site
    - Medium Client £600-£800 on site
    - Any Client Remote Work £600-£800
    - Partners (Big Consulting and Technology Giants) £600

Now I am pitching for some projects as well as contract roles for Public Sector UK work. I am really struggling with the rate and nature of employment. Biggies in Public Sector is saying £600 max even for full time on premise work and some of them saying the only option is part time employments @ £600 daily.

Since these are Public Sector biggies, I don’t want to turn down the work due to - relationships and credentials.

I am keen to understand what sort of rates are on the offer for Public Sector and how much they vary for say - Boroughs and Councils, HMRC, Cabinet Office, MoD, MoJ and other various departments.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Contractor UK Forum

Is there anything about contracting and your work than you are able to do yourself?

That said the more you post the less I believe any of it. You charge 1000 a day on site... With an off shore company. How does that work.

And if you've got a setup to do that why do you need to ask do many questions?

Re your actual question, have you looked in to and understood the various frameworks around enagaing with them Gcloud and the like. It's a complete pain in the ass. I assume you don't as you haven't asked us how to get on them yet.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 7 August 2019, 23:59.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I work as Independent Consultant about 2-3 days a week with my own rates. Then I have a company globally where we deliver similar projects. Me working as a contractor is just to get my foot in the door for long term relationship and trust to win projects. £1000 is not a big deal in my field TBH. My mentor charges £1700-£1800 to work solely as contractor in Public Sector. I am asking what is the affordability and range Public Sector has. I used to be in Big4 and my day rates were £2100-£3000+. I walked out with a number of Big Clients and those same Clients pay me £1000-£1200, getting the same problem solved with more passion, insight and other freebies which I have developed. I don’t see any other raised eyebrows. Do you have an idea how much Big4 Technology Risk Subject Matter Expert / Senior Manager level people charge to Clients?

Comment

Originally posted by TechRiskPartners View Post
        My mentor charges £1700-£1800 to work solely as contractor in Public Sector.

And she thinks I am diluting the market rate for people like herself by offering my service at £1000-£1200 level. What do you say to that?

Comment

And she thinks I am diluting the market rate for people like herself by offering my service at £1000-£1200 level. What do you say to that?

She's right.

I'll bet she's regretting mentoring you now.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

You sound very clever, would you like a well done sticker?

Comment

I realise that the OP likes to ask very basic questions on here, but looking at his other posts, and ones we've moderated before, this is coming over as just another blatant advert.

But it's also blatantly clear that they aren't very professional/knowledgeable in running a business.

Just because you are cheap doesn't mean you're any good. Do you work with British Airways?
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

You're clearly not very good.
                Or lying.

If she can get £1700 in the public sector, and you can't get £600, the problem isn't public sector is it?
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  She's right.

I'll bet she's regretting mentoring you now.
                  But again my objective is I am not after contractor revenue as I am trying to build a business which I offered her and she graciously rejected. My rate is lower to get a foot in the door with a wider objective.

I am not sure if she is regretting as I pass leads to her all the time as I am not looking for full time contract, she is.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    You're clearly not very good.
                    Or lying.

If she can get £1700 in the public sector, and you can't get £600, the problem isn't public sector is it?
                    My question was more about the range and affordability.

I am little picky as I have dual objective as mentioned before.

And nobody seems to know the rate card of Big4 and similar professionals as it appears. May be we all are living in our own bubble.

I would happily take a Public Sector contract (zero hour contract) which will pay be £600 day equivalent if
                    - Long term, I can generate more business
                    - I can use that as a great referral
                    - I work with key influential people who then refer me to some problem

Comment

Working...
                    X