• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is your experiance contracting for tech startups?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Why?
    Interesting question.

Yes, as KDW says - big egos, huge pressure to deliver and long hours.

I like working for small companies though, especially when you are the only IT bod because they tell you what they want and you go away and get on with it without agile, scrums, other IT twats in general. Like hens' teeth those gigs these days though.

Comment

The worst professional experiences of my life as both permie and contractor have involved start-ups.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
        Is there much you wouldn't do for £1k a day?
        Dim would do anything for a tenner. Twice.

Comment

I'm currently working with a startup. Bit disorganised, but no major issues.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            I'm currently working with a startup. Bit disorganised, but no major issues.

This one? Play to your strengths

Taste test: Burger robot startup Creator opens first restaurant – TechCrunch

creator’s transparent burger robot doesn’t grind your brisket and chuck steak into a gourmet patty until you order it. That’s just one way this startup, formerly known as Momentum Machines, wants to serve the world’s freshest cheeseburger for just $6.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I don't know if this is trolling but I will bite.

I worked at a startup, setting up a team of contractors and delivering a product in a record short time. It nearly cost my relationship - I didn't even realise at the time but I was really distant - entirely focused on delivering a product in unrealistic time frames.

The company had financial issues and I agreed to take shares as payment, only for a short period.

I would not recommend this experience.

On the positive, those shares are now actually worth something and I'm quite pleased with the return. The client ended up providing me with several years contracting work. I also made contacts in that industry which means more contract work.

So there you are.

Comment

I worked for a startup once. I turned it into a shutdown.

Comment

Startups

Not all startups make it to the next level, I worked for one for 3 months and ended up not getting paid for the last few weeks as they closed down.

I thought about taking them to court but they ended up going insolvent before I did anything

Comment

A small business by any other name. Let's stop this "startup" crap.

Was pulled in by a VC to mentor a couple of small businesses.

90% You are not going to be the the next ******* Uber you egotistical pricks.
                    10% I don't want ******* equity. Cash only.

Comment

The one I worked for went bust.

It's the Jonah Effect.

It was quite fun while it lasted, they did training simulators for APCs.

Obviously getting me in on a contract was the worst move they made.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X