• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market (another take)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

State of the Market (another take)

My banking client uses mostly Sapient & Wipro scrum teams made up from Indian/Turkish/outside EU workers (never any visa issues but that is another story) in the last week of so they have been giving hundreds of notices to the team members they have no work past September and they have to start cancelling their house rentals / sell cars etc and move back home (normally they would be put on the bench, and soon pick a new role up) talking to the bosses they all say there order books are empty so have no options (other banks are the same)

Also current client has a blanket ban on contractors extensions for 2020

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    My banking client uses mostly Sapient & Wipro scrum teams made up from Indian/Turkish/outside EU workers (never any visa issues but that is another story) in the last week of so they have been giving hundreds of notices to the team members they have no work past September and they have to start cancelling their house rentals / sell cars etc and move back home
    31st October.. the gift that keeps on giving
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

A recession of epic port-potions is upon us. Let us hope it does not become a depression.

I know many contractors have debts, I did so myself in the early years. Pay off those debts as best as you can in the next few months, otherwise they'll likely drag on your heals for the rest of your puff.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

European banking crisis at 12 o'clock. They are going to need every shekel for collateralisation.

Other industries are fairing a bit better at the moment.

My current project has just received new funding, team modestly expanding and I've been renewed. There was a reason I quit banking.
        Last edited by TwoWolves; 11 August 2019, 10:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
          31st October.. the gift that keeps on giving
          Foreign IT workers are leaving in droves...job done.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Foreign IT workers are leaving in droves...job done.

but we don't have any local experts (willing to work for £12K) and its more difficult to avoid tax if you pay someone in the UK.
            Last edited by vetran; 11 August 2019, 11:21.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              but we don't have any local experts (willing to work for £12K) .
              Wait until the end of the year
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                but we don't have any local experts (willing to work for £12K) an its more difficult to avoid tax if you pay someone in the UK.
                Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                Indeed. Rates are already in a tailspin in Scotland with FTC the new norm. It's looking pretty bleak for the year ahead, so I'm pretty glad to have squirrelled away whilst the sun was shining.
                ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

why you coming back and looking for a pay rise?
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Agents from the UK call me up 2-3 times a month with serious offers, usually England based jobs with rates circa in 2005.

Totally blows me away they can make those offers with a straight face. After living costs it's practically slavery!

Comment

Working...
                    X