• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Queen: Our politicians can’t govern

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Queen: Our politicians can’t govern

Queenie to sack government? Can she? Would she? What a sight it would be to see her Army take over parliament.

Conservatism in the UK is dead as a doornail.

The Queen has privately expressed her disappointment in the current political class and its “inability to govern”, The Sunday Times can reveal.

The monarch’s views have emerged as MPs threaten to drag her into the escalating Brexit crisis.

It is among the starkest political statements the Queen is known to have made during a 67-year reign, when her views on the political climate have rarely been exposed.

The remarks underline her exasperation with the explosive political fallout from the 2016 referendum, which continues to divide the country and parliament.

The Queen made the comments at a private event shortly after David Cameron’s resignation following the referendum, but an impeccable royal source said her frustration had since grown.
    source: Queen: Our politicians can’t govern | News | The Sunday Times
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Most democracies in Europe where you have a President, he can take down a government and demand GE, not sure if in the UK the Queen will have similar power...
    "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

She does have the power to sack a Prime Minister who has lost a confidence vote. At which point Corbyn would be free to form a caretaker government.

Then we can have a proper housing crash.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by CryingSheep View Post
        Most democracies in Europe where you have a President, he can take down a government and demand GE, not sure if in the UK the Queen will have similar power...
        Name them.
        Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          She does have the power to sack a Prime Minister who has lost a confidence vote. At which point Corbyn would be free to form a caretaker government.

Then we can have a proper housing crash.
          When the choice is between Boris and Corbin I wonder how someone can even think it would be a bad thing if EU would be telling UK what to do...

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
            Name them.
            Germany, Ireland (only by no confidence vote),

France, Portugal, Poland, Italy, Czech Republic, Finland (No confidence vote needed, is enough if the President believes the government is no longer fit for purpose)

Apparently in Belgium parliament can be dissolved by the Royal family.

And this is just to name a few I know about!

Comment

Germany, Ireland (only by no confidence vote),

France, Portugal, Poland, Italy, Czech Republic, Finland (No confidence vote needed, is enough if the President believes the government is no longer fit for purpose)

Apparently in Belgium parliament can be dissolved by the Royal family.

And this is just to name a few I just foogled for. know about!
              You should look again at the context of their powers, not one of them can wake up in the morning thinking this is tulipe, I'm going to dissolve government.
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Perhaps the Queen could just install a military junta.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

When the choice is between Boris and Corbin I wonder how someone can even think it would be a bad thing if EU would be telling UK what to do...
                  17.4 million people apparently do...
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                    You should look again at the context of their powers, not one of them can wake up in the morning thinking this is tulipe, I'm going to dissolve government.
                    And who said that!? But they have the power to dissolved the parliament by their own judgement, I believe this implies anyhow a bit more thought than waking up in the morning and thinking this is tulipe I'm going to dissolve the parliament...

As a general rule it will say that the president has the power to dissolve the parliament if they strongly believe they can no longer govern, in some countries this will be achieved by a no confidence vote but in many the sole judgement of the president is enough. Of course this is a very rare event (never happened in most of the listed countries) and it would only happen in very exceptional circumstances.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

Working...
                    X