• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Loan Charge on BBC front page : the general version

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loan Charge on BBC front page : the general version

'My dad thought he was a criminal - he wasn't' - BBC News

'Twas on the Today programme too.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

So pressure needs to remain on Boris to follow up his statement in June:

"The real culprits in this matter if I may say so are not so much the individuals themselves who have decided to use the loan charge as a way of minimising their tax exposure. It's the people who advised them that that was a sensible thing to do."

"It seems superficially unjust to me that they should then be retrospectively pursued for what they were told was an entirely legal option. It needs a proper independent review."

The following statement needs to be shown to be the nonsense it is (if they can introduce legislation to chase individuals going back 20 years, i.e. 'the loan charge' they can do the same to chase those that ran the scam) so the true culprits that made money from the schemes are chased and locked up if they can't repay what's owed.

The Treasury has said it is too late to go after the promoters of the schemes, many of whom made large profits, or the accountants who recommended them.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

I wish I had HMRC's ability to go back 20 years and fix the mess I made of things.

Comment

Today Programme 2:43

BBC Radio 4 - Today
          My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by More Lamb View Post
            I wish I had HMRC's ability to go back 20 years and fix the mess I made of things.
            Ditto. I would not have got married either. And I would have borrowed every penny I could and bought BTLs.

Comment

Why wasn't he a criminal? Is it cos it's a civil crime?

Comment

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
                Why wasn't he a criminal? Is it cos it's a civil crime?
                He only thought he was a criminal because HMRC told him so. And HMRC have way too much power which they abuse.

Come April 2020 alot of "contractors" are going to find this out the hard way.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Ditto. I would not have got married either. And I would have borrowed every penny I could and bought BTLs.
                  But then you wouldn't have had such an interesting life...
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    But then you wouldn't have had such an interesting life...
                    I would far prefer to be boring.

Comment

Working...
                    X