• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ross Thompson's Loan Charge Suspension Petition

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would people who want to stop suicides from Loan Charge continue as passionately lobby Govt to deal with other causes of suicides in this country?

Comment

“Suicide is the leading cause of death for men under 50. You can quote the statistics about suicide, but it is hard to convey the devastation with just numbers. A suicide is like a rock thrown into the water with the ripples spreading outwards, covering family, friends, soaking work colleagues, acquaintances, the wider community.

Why so many men? Again, the research, including Samaritans’ Men and Suicide report, shows how complex the issue is. In the report, men talk about relationships breaking down, separation from children, job loss, addiction, lack of close friendships, loneliness and being unable to open up. We also know that deprivation is a major factor in male suicide, increasing the odds of taking your life by 10 times, compared with the suicide risk of more affluent men.

NHS England >> Tackling the root causes of suicide

Comment

Should the police be responsible for suspects who’d take their own life?

Should the bank be responsible for suicide after house is repossessed?

Unless you (one who used those “loans”) have a consistent view on all of those then you are just using suicides for your personal financial gain - very sickening behaviour.

Comment

Final question - should those who are affluent enough to hire expensive lawyers to lobby MPs get any other treatment than those who can’t afford it?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Final question - should those who are affluent enough to hire expensive lawyers to lobby MPs get any other treatment than those who can’t afford it?
            Absolutely not - but this is the direction of travel over the last decade. Justice more than ever is becoming the preserve of the incredibly wealthy.

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
              Absolutely not - but this is the direction of travel over the last decade. Justice more than ever is becoming the preserve of the incredibly wealthy.
              Justice isn’t “avoiding” paying tax and getting away with it.

Justice is NOT getting away with it, REGARDLESS of wealth.

Comment

Justice isn’t “avoiding” paying tax and getting away with it.

Justice is NOT getting away with it, REGARDLESS of wealth.
                Thanks for the lecture. In an ideal world there would be no tax avoidance but hey.

What I meant was justice should be available to all, regardless of wealth.

However, justice would have been HMRC stating categorically 15-20 years ago that these people would be pursued for the tax and if they ignored it then it was their own faults. I don't believe that has happened.

Anyway, I don't think I'll add anything further to this thread so I'm out.

Comment

Thanks for the lecture. In an ideal world there would be no tax avoidance but hey.
                  Would you rob somebody just because world is not ideal?

There is right and there is wrong, and getting "loans" instead of being paid honest salary stinked as wrong, obviously.

Comment

I use my ISA in a way that was intended by the Parliament.
                    So, tax avoidance.
                    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

What I meant was justice should be available to all, regardless of wealth.

However, justice would have been HMRC stating categorically 15-20 years ago that these people would be pursued for the tax and if they ignored it then it was their own faults. I don't believe that has happened.

Anyway, I don't think I'll add anything further to this thread so I'm out.
                      There is absolutely nothing wrong with avoiding paying more tax than you need to. Forget "Fair" and "Moral". If you really want to pay more than you legally owe then throw it to a charity.
                      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                      X