• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Street beggars must have a hard time these days

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CryingSheep View Post
    Still, can you give an example why someone would need a 500€ note back in 2002?

As far as you know I could be a swiss national... Lived there for a while and never notice a cash culture, always used my card like anywhere else.

But after some research I will have to agree that Switzerland seems to have a 'special' relationship with cash Payments survey switzerland continuing love affair with cash although the same link mention that cash is used mostly for small amounts payments, so the reason for 1000 notes can't be explained by that special relation...

the word was they were too easy a target for forgery and drug dealers loved them because you cold get €1 million in a normal envelope.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Still, can you give an example why someone would need a 500€ note back in 2002?

As far as you know I could be a swiss national... Lived there for a while and never notice a cash culture, always used my card like anywhere else..
      You can't have lived here very long if you didn't notice the cash culture. It's only in the last few years that the supermarkets and other large shops have accepted credit cards.

In 2016 there was a 1000CHF note shortage when the Americans withdrew CHF 400 million in Swiss banknotes in Zurich, transported them to Geneva and handed the cash over to the Iranians:
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        You can't have lived here very long if you didn't notice the cash culture. It's only in the last few years that the supermarkets and other large shops have accepted credit cards.

In 2016 there was a 1000CHF note shortage when the Americans withdrew CHF 400 million in Swiss banknotes in Zurich, transported them to Geneva and handed the cash over to the Iranians:
        You are worse than "Barmy Darmy" for not quoting your source.

Shortage of CHF 1000 banknotes ?? - English Forum Switzerland

The CHF 1'000 note shortage goes back to January when the Americans withdrew CHF 400 million in Swiss banknotes in Zurich, transported them to Geneva and handed the cash over to the Iranians:

"an initial $400 million cash payment to Iran was wired to the Federal Reserve Bank of New York (FRBNY) and then converted from U.S. dollars into Swiss francs and moved to an account at the Swiss National Bank, according to a copy of the communication obtained exclusively by the Free Beacon.

Once the money was transferred to the Swiss Bank, the “FRBNY withdrew the funds from its account as Swiss franc banknotes and the U.S. Government physically transported them to Geneva” before personally overseeing the handover to an agent of Iran’s central bank, according to the documents."
        Last edited by Zigenare; 22 August 2019, 08:11.
        Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

A while ago at Liverpool street I saw a beggar approach another beggar lying on the pavement and gave him a couple of small kicks.

I worked out he was just checking the guy was still alive.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            A while ago at Liverpool street I saw a beggar approach another beggar lying on the pavement and gave him a couple of small kicks.

Why? Was he going to eat him?
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Happens all the time in Piccadilly gardens, Manchester...
              "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Happens all the time in Piccadilly gardens, Manchester...
                If you're looking for your girlfriend she's round the back of Chorlton Street bus station.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                  If you're looking for your girlfriend she's round the back of Chorlton Street bus station.
                  I like men, so if something would be my boyfriend...
                  "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

I like men, so if something would be my boyfriend...
                    He'll be down " anal treet".

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                      Is that where you left her?

Comment

Working...
                      X