• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Street beggars must have a hard time these days

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Street beggars must have a hard time these days

Now most debit cards support touch payments, how many people carry around loose change any more?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Then they take card payments of course..
    Beggar uses card reader to take donations - Telegraph

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Now most debit cards support touch payments, how many people carry around loose change any more?
      For several years now, I can go months without touching cash... now and then there is the odd street food stand that only accepts cash, but other than that, don't understand how people still carry cash these days!

Last time I was in the US at the passport control the guy asked me how much cash I had on me, my answer: none! You should see his face, asking me how I intend to support myself during the holidays! I guess he never heard of debit/credit cards, that these days (and for a couple of years now, at least) offers way better deal than exchanging cash!
      "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        I carry cash. Making small purchases for less than pound by card makes no sense to me and paying everything by card means I have no idea how much money I've spent. Maybe that's a factor in why most millennials are incapable of managing their money!
        If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
          I carry cash. Making small purchases for less than pound by card makes no sense to me and paying everything by card means I have no idea how much money I've spent. Maybe that's a factor in why most millennials are incapable of managing their money!
          Most millennials know exactly how much money they've spent through their banking apps and are quite capable of managing their money.

Don't believe everything you read in the Daily Wail Grandad.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            Most millennials know exactly how much money they've spent through their banking apps and are quite capable of managing their money.

I'd argue that. With fancy cars and phones on lease or contract, mainly renting and everythings else on the credit card I think as a generation they are bloody awful at managing money. Only topped by Gen Z.
            If you mean spending every penny they have however, then yes agreed.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              Don't assume my gender please. Or that I read the papers. Thank you.

Comment

I don't understand how buying things with cash helps you to control your spends! In the end of the week you spend 100£ cash, can you really remember everything on what you spent that money?

If you buy it with card, you will always have a bank statement that details where and on what you spent every pound!

The only valid argument is for people that get too excited when going out at night and next morning when checking their statement realise they spent hundreds of pounds. For those I always recommend to leave the wallet at home and just take any amount of cash they think is reasonable to spend on the night out!

Comment

Originally posted by CryingSheep View Post
                  I don't understand how buying things with cash helps you to control your spends! In the end of the week you spend 100£ cash, can you really remember everything on you spent that money?

If you buy it with card, you will always have a bank statement that details where and on what you spent every pound!

The only valid argument is for people that get too excited when going out at night and next morning when checking their statement realise they spent hundreds of pounds. For those I always recommend to leave the wallet at home and just take any amount of cash they think is reasonable to spend on the night out!

Well if I take, say, £100 out in cash at the start of the week & by the end of the week it's gone then I know I've spent no more than £100. If I go through the week just tapping my card for every purchase then I'll have no idea how much I've spent at any given time & therefore much easier to overspend. What I've spent it on is completely irrelevant.

Comment

Well if I take, say, £100 out in cash at the start of the week & by the end of the week it's gone then I know I've spent no more than £100. If I go through the week just tapping my card for every purchase then I'll have no idea how much I've spent at any given time & therefore much easier to overspend. What I've spent it on is completely irrelevant.
                    I can see you point there... but in that case get a prepaid card... Works the same and you can save the planet! And bacteria in your hands...

Comment

Working...
                    X