• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Government to order review of costly project no-one wants.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Government to order review of costly project no-one wants.....

No! Not that one!

HS2: Review to examine costs and benefits of rail project - BBC News

Maybe people have finally worked out that all it will do is bleed Birmingham dry?

You say no one wants it - construction companies are happy for it
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
      Can we not put them to work building a wall and checkpoints?
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
        Can we not put them to work building a wall and checkpoints?
        Isn't that what Mexicans are for?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Isn't that what Mexicans are for?
          They're foreigners mate, we've plenty of feckless types over here who can be put to work digging ditches, toting bales, that kind of thing.
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

TBH I am not fussed who is actually on the tools or what we are building - just so long as we keep building
            Growing old is mandatory
            Growing up is optional

Comment

Essentially it's the Brexiteers who want to torpedo HS2. They'd rather see the UK as a backward third world country with a rubbish infrastructure and crowded trains they can blame on immigration.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                They're foreigners mate, we've plenty of feckless types over here who can be put to work digging ditches, toting bales, that kind of thing.
                Who could you be referring to?

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  Essentially it's the Brexiteers who want to torpedo HS2. They'd rather see the UK as a backward third world country with a rubbish infrastructure and crowded trains they can blame on immigration.
                  Its a great project. But quite a cost! Especially given the benefits!

On Nigel Farage show last night a caller suggested starting it the Northern end. Land is cheaper. Get the public onside.

But I suspect the real reason is to stuff the North. I don't mind stuffing Manchester, but the rest deserves better.....

Comment

TBH I am not fussed who is actually on the tools or what we are building - just so long as we keep building
                    A true Keynesian approach. I like it.

It's why I like HS2. Better to build something that keeps people working than not to.
                    I think making the M62 5 lanes wide would be more useful. Or quadrupling the rail capacity between east and west.
                    If they do cancel HS2 they should make sure the money goes on other rail projects.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X