• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

GSK Crackdown

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
    "Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad"

Don't get mad - see the situation as an obstacle in your path that you need to resolve or work around. As a contractor you should take a pride in your troubleshooting abilities. So troubleshoot this.
    I see you take the same approach here

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
      I'm getting genuinely depressed about this April thing to the extent that it's affecting my life and general demeanour. I am not a happy camper.
      same here. Not looking forward to a pathetic permie job after april 2020 with poverty level salary. May be i will emigrate somewhere. why are the salaries so low in this country ? In the usa i could get $200k with same level of experience but in UK will not be able to get more than £60k.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
        In the usa i could get $200k with same level of experience but in UK will not be able to get more than £60k.
        Sure, but permie pay and contract rates are high in the US for tech and other professional services. There are other European countries that have better permie/contract rates than the UK, but I think the US is an outlier on the high end (esp. when factoring living costs), more than the UK on the low end.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
          same here. Not looking forward to a pathetic permie job after april 2020 with poverty level salary. May be i will emigrate somewhere. why are the salaries so low in this country ? In the usa i could get $200k with same level of experience but in UK will not be able to get more than £60k.
          By admitting that you probably will have to take on a permie role after April 2020 it sounds like you are inside IR35 already (or you ought to be!), so I don't really see what difference it will make as you clearly see yourself as inside IR35 already.

Comment

There is still time for a last-minute reprieve!

I got a call about a contract gig outside IR35 in Bristol last week...

for HMRC!

They are such hypocrites.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
              There is still time for a last-minute reprieve!

I got a call about a contract gig outside IR35 in Bristol last week...

for HMRC!

They are such hypocrites.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dogs Bollocks View Post
                By admitting that you probably will have to take on a permie role after April 2020 it sounds like you are inside IR35 already (or you ought to be!), so I don't really see what difference it will make as you clearly see yourself as inside IR35 already.
                And this just shows how little you understand the changes in April and the ramifcations of such. Obviously none of us know the future, but it seems very clear that HMRC's intentions are not, and have never been, to only catch disguised employees. In their ideal little world there would be no PSC's and we'd all be duly employed.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                  And this just shows how little you understand the changes in April and the ramifcations of such. Obviously none of us know the future, but it seems very clear that HMRC's intentions are not, and have never been, to only catch disguised employees. In their ideal little world there would be no PSC's and we'd all be duly employed.
                  Yep much easier for them to treat all PSC's as guilty until proven innocent.
                  Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
                    Yep much easier for them to treat all PSC's as guilty until proven innocent.
                    Exactly, and the frustrating thing is that this isn't backed up by HMRC's victories elsewhere. Quite the opposite - because they couldn't win playing fair, and they keep getting their arsed handed to them in court, they've rigged the game so that they don't need to prove anything.

And, of course, when risk adverse companies (and who can blame them) put people inside IR35, HMRC will tout those figures as proof like morons such as "The Dogs Bollocks"

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                      Exactly, and the frustrating thing is that this isn't backed up by HMRC's victories elsewhere. Quite the opposite - because they couldn't win playing fair, and they keep getting their arsed handed to them in court, they've rigged the game so that they don't need to prove anything.

And, of course, when risk adverse companies (and who can blame them) put people inside IR35, HMRC will tout those figures as proof like morons such as "The Dogs Bollocks"

That risk aversion is likely to ramp up a bit when things like liability and debt transfer come into consideration.

Blanket inside IR35 determinations incoming, probably.
                      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
                      X