• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

GSK Crackdown

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    And this just shows how little you understand the changes in April and the ramifcations of such. Obviously none of us know the future, but it seems very clear that HMRC's intentions are not, and have never been, to only catch disguised employees. In their ideal little world there would be no PSC's and we'd all be duly employed.
    But that is not how IR35 legislation works is it. Yes HMRC may well see us all as a bunch of Tax avoiders, but in reality when you consider Corporation tax, Dividend tax, Insurance tax, we are probably not that far away (possibly greater than) of what a permie pays annually on a permie salary (which will be substantially less than what any of our Ltd Co's charge us out at). In the holistic if individuals leave contracting roles for permie roles as a result of the April 2020 changes it could cost HMRC on its bottom line if the total tax revenues are less for the permie than they are for the contractor.

BTW there are no PSC's. There is no legal definition of a PSC. I do not work through a PSC. I work through a Limited Company.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dogs Bollocks View Post
      But that is not how IR35 legislation works is it. Yes HMRC may well see us all as a bunch of Tax avoiders, but in reality when you consider Corporation tax, Dividend tax, Insurance tax, we are probably not that far away (possibly greater than) of what a permie pays annually on a permie salary (which will be substantially less than what any of our Ltd Co's charge us out at). In the holistic if individuals leave contracting roles for permie roles as a result of the April 2020 changes it could cost HMRC on its bottom line if the total tax revenues are less for the permie than they are for the contractor.
      Okaaay? I really don't know what you're trying to tell me with this post, or how it relates to mine?

BTW there are no PSC's. There is no legal definition of a PSC. I do not work through a PSC. I work through a Limited Company.
      Oh, you're one of those.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dogs Bollocks View Post
        if individuals leave contracting roles for permie roles as a result of the April 2020 changes it could cost HMRC on its bottom line if the total tax revenues are less for the permie than they are for the contractor.
        No, because in that scenario clients are paying less money out gross, which means (all other things being equal) that they'll be paying more corporation tax on their own earnings, along with their shareholders paying more dividend tax on their (greater) dividends.

Comment

I am not surprised. I worked for about 6 months for GSK london.
          Interviewed by a contractor, told what to do by contractors. When I asked for a reference was told sorry contractors don't give references.
          They all lived locally and in my mind were all genuine employees as they had on average been there for donkeys years.
          I was employed to do a specific task and then moved on.
          Sorry but these long term local contractors have destroyed the contracting market for people like me who need to claim expenses in order to find a contract away from home.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by Brussels Slumdog View Post
            I am not surprised. I worked for about 6 months for GSK london.
            Interviewed by a contractor, told what to do by contractors. When I asked for a reference was told sorry contractors don't give references.
            They all lived locally and in my mind were all genuine employees as they had on average been there for donkeys years.
            I was employed to do a specific task and then moved on.
            Sorry but these long term local contractors have destroyed the contracting market for people like me who need to claim expenses in order to find a contract away from home.

ahhhhh, - diddums

contracting is about competition.
            living close to the market gives you an advantage.
            or don't you get business?

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
              ahhhhh, - diddums

*checks to see if this nugget of gold is in the Subforum That Cannot Be Named*

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                *checks to see if this nugget of gold is in the Subforum That Cannot Be Named*
                of course not, johnny, they wouldn't get it.

ffs.

Comment

ahhhhh, - diddums

I can still compete with Londoners as I
                  don' t have a London mortgage.
                  It costs the same for me to commute from Brussels as it would from Manchester.
                  I have also worked in the Midlands and worked along side Londoners
                  Commuting is a part of contacting.
                  Sorry but someone who has been at the same company for donkeys years is not a contractor.

Comment

Originally posted by Brussels Slumdog View Post
                    I can still compete with Londoners as I
                    don' t have a London mortgage.
                    It costs the same for me to commute from Brussels as it would from Manchester.
                    I have also worked in the Midlands and worked along side Londoners
                    Commuting is a part of contacting.
                    Sorry but someone who has been at the same company for donkeys years is not a contractor.

i bow to your superior knowledge.
                    my first contract was in 1976.

and i have traveled.
                    a lot.

the fact remains about being close to market.

it's stuff.
                    if you can't sort it, don't do it.

Comment

i bow to your superior knowledge.
                      my first contract was in 1976.

and i have traveled.
                      a lot.

the fact remains about being close to market.

it's stuff.
                      if you can't sort it, don't do it.
                      Why are you ignoring his main point - currently, tax-deductible expenses somewhat level the playing field and allow us to be mobile. This particularly important to those of us in more niche fields, where lots of travelling is the norm even in consultancy permiedom.

Losing tax-deductible expenses changes it to being essentially impossible unless the rate is sky high.
                      Last edited by vwdan; 29 August 2019, 08:24.

Comment

Working...
                      X