• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK’s Labour would cost companies £300bn in workers’ share swipe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    When you say confiscated from owners. You’re talking mostly about pension funds. They’re the biggest owners of the biggest companies.
    McDonnell has found a way to smash and grab pension funds without it looking like he is.
    So if pension fund is an owner then it’s ok to rob them and all other owners?

It’s not ok to confiscate property, unless it’s proceeds of crime.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Don't most German companies have workers representatives on the board? I know they have some sort of representation in decision making.
      Yes: https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2676809

I did 3 years as the vice chairman off one. If done properly they can actually help the company a lot and that has been seen a number of times in German industry, on the other hand, the VW one screwed up spectacularly a few years back (probably thinking they were management): VW-Korruptionsaffare – Wikipedia

In fact they should exist in the UK n some companies: Employee Involvement - Employment, Social Affairs & Inclusion - European Commission
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

It’s laughable to suggest that even Labour would be able to get their ha ds on 10% of shares in foreign companies.

Does anybody really think they would dare to force say Google UK to hand over 10% of shares (UK ones or main holding company)?

It’s a totally moronic idea that will hit only genuine UK based companies

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          It’s laughable to suggest that even Labour would be able to get their ha ds on 10% of shares in foreign companies.

Does anybody really think they would dare to force say Google UK to hand over 10% of shares (UK ones or main holding company)?

It’s a totally moronic idea that will hit only genuine UK based companies
          You're quite naive in your own way, AtW. You obviously look up to this country and can't believe what's happening. Britsh exceptionalism, eh?
          You should read more about the Roman empire. When tulipe happens it happens fast.
          If I were you I would move your company out. The smart money is doing that already.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Increases in CGT and dividend taxes far more likely

Comment

Andrew Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                AGM is NOT board meeting.

Yes, I understand that. But an AGM is also where a shareholder with a minimal amount of shares gets access to the board.

Where does an employee, with 100% of his/her income coming from the company, get any access to the board, even for one day a year?

Many companies are private so scum like JRM can’t buy any shares
                Private companies? Not even close to being relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                  Where does an employee, with 100% of his/her income coming from the company, get any access to the board, even for one day a year?
                  In the company that I've founded nearly 15 years ago any employee (out of around 25) can just walk to my worktable in the same office and talk to me.

If we had 250 people working I'd probably still retain open office or a small "open doors" office anybody can walk in.

For a larger company I'd question some managers' competence (and those who had appointed them, up to the Board level) if somebody is forced to jump to get to the Board.

Private companies? Not even close to being relevant.
                  It's very relevant because private companies, often famliy owned take a much longer term view than PLCs that are forced to comply with "analysts" making predictions that those companies are supposed to meet every quarter.

Bottom line is that - if you want to live in Communist society then go take a tour in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.
                  Last edited by AtW; 2 September 2019, 23:32.

Comment

Is it in the contract?

Should it even be?

Should a Board member talk to every employee employed?

When I had my first good job 19 years ago in this country I was pretty fooking happy I had it in the first place - I was lucky enough to work with great people and from time to time I even had a conversation with Board members, it was great but at no time I felt I was entitled for it - and why should anybody?

My next job I did not like, and at the first opportunity I've setup my own company, that's the way to do it and if you are not good enough then why should you expect to talk to people who are actually responsible for you getting paid in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      The larger problem (and not just in the Uk) is that 50% of the population are irrelevant in a knowledge economy as they just don't have the cognitive skills necessary for success.
                      In the old days, these people worked in factories and their problem was exploitation. So the Labour movement was formed to fight for their rights.
                      But irrelevance is far worse than exploitation and there's no fix for that.

Much of what is happening in the world politically can be put down to this.

It's the great problem of our time: what in God's name do we do with the stupid?
                      What we currently do, promote them out of harms way!
                      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                      X