• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK’s Labour would cost companies £300bn in workers’ share swipe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    It's the great problem of our time: what in God's name do we do with the stupid?
    Cut unemployment benefit and immigration.

I still think much of the reason the poor still smoke is having something to do with their time.

Mind you, driverless vehicles and fruit-picking robots are going to be a real challenge. I suppose we must stop the poor from breeding. That would help climate change too.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
      I think something has to be done to give normal working people a stake in society as the downward pressure on living standards was largely the reason for Brexit.
      Not according to piers morgan
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
        Many (like, 30) years ago I was in a meeting where the local union delegate wanted union members to sit on board meetings even without shareholdings.
        I'd tell that delegate to fook right off.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          I'd tell that delegate to fook right off.
          Why?

I sort of see his point - employees have a lot to lose if the direction of the company is taking it down.

Shouldn’t they have some form of advocacy in that?

Or are their rewards simply limited to a day’s wage for a day’s work, and to be tossed aside when there’s no more worth to be extracted from them?

Comment

Don't most German companies have workers representatives on the board? I know they have some sort of representation in decision making.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

They can create a company that will be run any way they see fit but not tell owners of other companies they don’t own how to run their companies.

If you don’t like a job (like I did not) then setup your own company - this country used to be good for that sort of thing

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Don't most German companies have workers representatives on the board? I know they have some sort of representation in decision making.
                If the Board deems it necessary then it’s fine, which is how it works there, that does not mean part of company is confiscated from owners

Comment

They can create a company that will be run any way they see fit but not tell owners of other companies they don’t own how to run their companies.

If you don’t like a job (like I did not) then setup your own company - this country used to be good for that sort of thing
                  Why not?

Famously as a student, Jacob Rees-Mogg would buy a couple of hundred quids worth of shares and then turn up to AGMs to berate the board over the size of their dividends.

Why should someone with only a small stake in a company get a say to the board, when employees are risking 100% of their income in that same company but don’t get any say in its direction?

Sure, they could create their own companies. But if everyone could do that, and did that, then who would be left to work for you?

Comment

If the Board deems it necessary then it’s fine, which is how it works there, that does not mean part of company is confiscated from owners
                    When you say confiscated from owners. You’re talking mostly about pension funds. They’re the biggest owners of the biggest companies.
                    McDonnell has found a way to smash and grab pension funds without it looking like he is.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                      Why not?

Famously as a student, Jacob Rees-Mogg would buy a couple of hundred quids worth of shares and then turn up to AGMs to berate the board over the size of their dividends.

Why should someone with only a small stake in a company get a say to the board, when employees are risking 100% of their income in that same company but don’t get any say in its direction?

Sure, they could create their own companies. But if everyone could do that, and did that, then who would be left to work for you?
                      AGM is NOT board meeting.

Many companies are private so scum like JRM can’t buy any shares

Comment

Working...
                      X