• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK’s Labour would cost companies £300bn in workers’ share swipe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK’s Labour would cost companies £300bn in workers’ share swipe

First two paragraphs are golden.

Bring it on.

A Labour government would confiscate about £300bn of shares in 7,000 large companies and hand them to workers in one of the biggest state raids on the private sector to take place in a western democracy, according to analysis by the Financial Times and Clifford Chance.

The UK’s 2.6m landlords would also face a “moment of reckoning” if Labour won the next general election after shadow chancellor John McDonnell said he wanted a “right to buy” scheme for private tenants as well as higher taxes on landlords.

With British politics in turmoil and the chances of a snap general election fast increasing, the FT is this week examining the consequences for the UK economy of a Labour government — which would be the most leftwing in modern history.

The Labour leadership is determined to shift power away from bosses and landlords and to workers and tenants.

The £300bn share seizure would be the consequence of Mr McDonnell’s plans for “inclusive ownership funds”, where every company with more than 250 staff would have to gradually transfer 10 per cent of their shares to workers.

The radical plan would see the transfer of 1 per cent a year of shares from shareholders to workers over 10 years.

Shares would be held and managed by workers, who would receive dividends up to £500 each per year. Any income beyond that level would be redistributed to the Exchequer, representing a stealth tax by the state.

Labour has never put an estimate on the scale of the transfer of private wealth from shareholders to workers that the policy would entail. But the FT and law firm Clifford Chance have sought to gauge the size of the policy by extrapolating data from the Office for National Statistics.

The ONS estimates that financial and non-financial corporations have a book value of £5.5tn. The national accounts do not separate out large companies, but 57 per cent of overall corporate turnover derives from large companies, according to the ONS. On that basis the value of large private sector companies is about £3tn — meaning Labour would expropriate £300bn.

For comparison, the windfall tax by Tony Blair’s New Labour government on utility companies raised just £4.8bn.

“There is no historic precedent for this,” said Dan Neidle, a partner at Clifford Chance. “We are in completely uncharted territory.”

Mr Neidle predicted litigation from aggrieved companies and shareholders, challenges from other countries, including the US and China, potential WTO complaints and perhaps “retaliation in kind”.

Mr McDonnell said greater employee ownership increased a company’s productivity and encouraged long-term thinking. “It’s right that we all share in the benefits that investment produces,” he said.

Last edited by scooterscot; 2 September 2019, 08:05.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Under the proposal every company with more than 250 staff would hand over 1 per cent a year of equity over 10 years to a so-called Inclusive Ownership Fund.

This sounds similar to what was done in Germany post 1945 and it worked very well
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

It would make the UK a happier place.

I have been saying no-one should ever vote Tory or Labour. I might have to revisit that......

Comment

So companies could simply avoid this by not being listed in the UK?
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

I have been saying no-one should ever vote Tory or Labour. I might have to revisit that......
          For whom?
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
            For whom?
            People are generally happier where there is more equality.

Comment

People are generally happier where there is more equality.
              Come on BP people are generally happier, when they have what others have at no cost to themselves

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk
              In Scooter we trust

Comment

Don't know about happier, but certainly might challenge the productivity problems that seem to plague UK businesses.

Unlike Germany, I don't know if I could believe a situation where someone from the shop-floor was in the board meetings when voting on company direction - could you imagine?
                Last edited by scooterscot; 2 September 2019, 10:38.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  Don't know about happier, but certainly might challenge the productivity problems that seem to plague UK businesses.

Unlike Germany, I don't know if I could believe a situation where someone from the shop-floor was in the board meetings when voting on company direction - could you imagine?
                  John Lewis Partnership? Richer Sounds?
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

Betriebsrat...
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X