UK’s Labour would cost companies £300bn in workers’ share swipe UK’s Labour would cost companies £300bn in workers’ share swipe
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 80

More fingers than teeth

scooterscot is a fount of knowledge

Anywhere that is not broken Brexit Britain

Default UK’s Labour would cost companies £300bn in workers’ share swipe

First two paragraphs are golden.

Bring it on.

A Labour government would confiscate about £300bn of shares in 7,000 large companies and hand them to workers in one of the biggest state raids on the private sector to take place in a western democracy, according to analysis by the Financial Times and Clifford Chance.

The UK’s 2.6m landlords would also face a “moment of reckoning” if Labour won the next general election after shadow chancellor John McDonnell said he wanted a “right to buy” scheme for private tenants as well as higher taxes on landlords.

With British politics in turmoil and the chances of a snap general election fast increasing, the FT is this week examining the consequences for the UK economy of a Labour government — which would be the most leftwing in modern history.

The Labour leadership is determined to shift power away from bosses and landlords and to workers and tenants.

The £300bn share seizure would be the consequence of Mr McDonnell’s plans for “inclusive ownership funds”, where every company with more than 250 staff would have to gradually transfer 10 per cent of their shares to workers.

The radical plan would see the transfer of 1 per cent a year of shares from shareholders to workers over 10 years.

Shares would be held and managed by workers, who would receive dividends up to £500 each per year. Any income beyond that level would be redistributed to the Exchequer, representing a stealth tax by the state.

Labour has never put an estimate on the scale of the transfer of private wealth from shareholders to workers that the policy would entail. But the FT and law firm Clifford Chance have sought to gauge the size of the policy by extrapolating data from the Office for National Statistics.

The ONS estimates that financial and non-financial corporations have a book value of £5.5tn. The national accounts do not separate out large companies, but 57 per cent of overall corporate turnover derives from large companies, according to the ONS. On that basis the value of large private sector companies is about £3tn — meaning Labour would expropriate £300bn.

For comparison, the windfall tax by Tony Blair’s New Labour government on utility companies raised just £4.8bn.

“There is no historic precedent for this,” said Dan Neidle, a partner at Clifford Chance. “We are in completely uncharted territory.”

Mr Neidle predicted litigation from aggrieved companies and shareholders, challenges from other countries, including the US and China, potential WTO complaints and perhaps “retaliation in kind”.

Mr McDonnell said greater employee ownership increased a company’s productivity and encouraged long-term thinking. “It’s right that we all share in the benefits that investment produces,” he said.

Last edited by scooterscot; 2nd September 2019 at 08:05.
    “We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher, to break barriers, to reach for the stars, to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we are still pioneers. And we've barely begun. And that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us.”

Godlike

Paddy is a fount of knowledge

Under the proposal every company with more than 250 staff would hand over 1 per cent a year of equity over 10 years to a so-called Inclusive Ownership Fund.

This sounds similar to what was done in Germany post 1945 and it worked very well
    Brexiteers remind me of religious fanatics, only faith, no facts.

I Am Legend

BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?

It would make the UK a happier place.

I have been saying no-one should ever vote Tory or Labour. I might have to revisit that......

TykeLike

SimonMac is a fount of knowledge

So companies could simply avoid this by not being listed in the UK?
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Super poster

Zigenare - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by BrilloPad View Post

I have been saying no-one should ever vote Tory or Labour. I might have to revisit that......
    For whom?
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg
    Given that you refuse to work for Jews, because you believe that they are only out for themselves and that they see gentiles as just there to be used, WGAS what you think.
    You do me old chum, obviously

Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg View Post
    Churchy says that May Day is a Zionist Occupation Government conspiracy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg
    Only it is somewhat suspicious that this unsubstantiated claim has been made against the object of Alt-Right antisemitic conspiracy lies.

I Am Legend

BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?

Quote Originally Posted by Zigenare View Post
    For whom?
    People are generally happier where there is more equality.

Super poster

The Spartan has more data than eek

People are generally happier where there is more equality.
    Come on BP people are generally happier, when they have what others have at no cost to themselves

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk
    In Scooter we trust

More fingers than teeth

scooterscot is a fount of knowledge

Anywhere that is not broken Brexit Britain

Don't know about happier, but certainly might challenge the productivity problems that seem to plague UK businesses.

Unlike Germany, I don't know if I could believe a situation where someone from the shop-floor was in the board meetings when voting on company direction - could you imagine?
    Last edited by scooterscot; 2nd September 2019 at 10:38.
    “We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher, to break barriers, to reach for the stars, to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we are still pioneers. And we've barely begun. And that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us.”

Godlike

Paddy is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by scooterscot View Post
    Don't know about happier, but certainly might challenge the productivity problems that seem to plague UK businesses.

Unlike Germany, I don't know if I could believe a situation where someone from the shop-floor was in the board meetings when voting on company direction - could you imagine?
    John Lewis Partnership? Richer Sounds?
    Brexiteers remind me of religious fanatics, only faith, no facts.

More fingers than teeth

darmstadt is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by scooterscot View Post

Betriebsrat...
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.