• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is it that when it comes to identity politics there are allegedly 100 or more genders. But when it comes to the gender pay gap, there are only two?

Is it to do with differing (ahem) agenders?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Why is it that when it comes to identity politics there are allegedly 100 or more genders. But when it comes to the gender pay gap, there are only two?

I am very angry about this. I shall post a strongly worded facebook post. That should sort it....

Comment

Funny one this as my son asked me a similar question about how the pay gap affects people identifying as a different gender the other week and I had to tell him I honestly didn't have a clue and he probably couldn't have asked a worse person that question.Must be an HR nightmare.

Gender fluid person decides on Monday morning they are female and being paid less than their male colleagues.
      Next two days said person identifies as male so there is no issue
      Thursday they decide they are gender neutral and threaten to take HR to court for identifying them as a gender
      Friday rings HR in a complete froth they are female and they've done nothing about the payment and threatens them with court.

Sort that one out HR!!
      Last edited by northernladuk; 8 September 2019, 16:18.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Funny one this as my son asked me a similar question about how the pay gap affects people identifying as a different gender the other week and I had to tell him I honestly didn't have a clue and he probably couldn't have asked a worse person that question.
        I bet your accountant knows....

Comment

Funny one this as my son asked me a similar question about how the pay gap affects people identifying as a different gender the other week and I had to tell him I honestly didn't have a clue and he probably couldn't have asked a worse person that question.Must be an HR nightmare.

Gender fluid person decides on Monday morning they are female and being paid less than their male colleagues.
          Thursday they decide they are gender neutral and threaten to take HR to court for identifying them as a gender
          Friday rings HR in a complete froth they are female and they've done nothing about the payment and threatens them with court.

Sort that one out HR!!
          Not all cis-females are paid less as it's an average. (It's the median)

So as a cis-man the person would be on the average wage for a male. As a cis-woman the same person would be on above average wage for a female. As a gender neutral person or identifying as non-binary then the amount of data available would mean you couldn't say whether there was a gender pay gap for that particular gender.

Hope that helps answer your son's question.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Comment

Sort that one out HR!!
              Let us know how you get on, and what HR do for you
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Probably because there are only two legally recognised genders on which to base statistics.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Not all cis-females are paid less as it's an average. (It's the median)

So as a cis-man the person would be on the average wage for a male. As a cis-woman the same person would be on above average wage for a female. As a gender neutral person or identifying as non-binary then the amount of data available would mean you couldn't say whether there was a gender pay gap for that particular gender.

Hope that helps answer your son's question.
                  Is it a gender pay gap anyway? Or is it a gap between people that are more likely to work part time and people that work full time.

Or a gap between people that take time off to raise kids and those that dedicate their life to work?

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                    Is it a gender pay gap anyway? Or is it a gap between people that are more likely to work part time and people that work full time.

Or a gap between people that take time off to raise kids and those that dedicate their life to work?
                    Ask Google.

Comment

Working...
                    X