• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car backfiring ????

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car backfiring ????

Two men drinking in a nearby pub heard one gunshot, but believed it to be a car backfiring

From a story today

Was this a thing in the 1960’s I dont think I’ve ever heard a car back firing? But I’ve heard several gunshots in my time.

What’s more common ? Is it a real thing

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

It's possible to fit a system to your exhaust which injects fuel onto the hot exhaust which will give you the sound of a backfire....

if you want to do that I suppose.

having said that I live near the country and can often hear clay pigeon shoots going on.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
      Two men drinking in a nearby pub heard one gunshot, but believed it to be a car backfiring

From a story today

Was this a thing in the 1960’s I dont think I’ve ever heard a car back firing? But I’ve heard several gunshots in my time.

Cars don't backfire very often due to fuel injection. That makes the mixture more correct and more likely to all burn.
      Backfiring is when unburnt fuel in the exhaust is ignited by burning fuel comiung out of the exhaust vavle.

It is possible to simulate. When driving at a cruuising speed, turn the ignition off for a few seconds then back on. *BANG*
      This probably won't work on modern cars though, and if it does work it has a habit of splitting the silencer box along the seam. Is also more dangerous to simulate in modern cars (power steering, brake servos, other electronic gubbins).
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

From a story today

Older cars with points and condensers tended to backfire if the ignition timing was incorrect. It could also happen, as it did to my car once, if the condenser failed whilst travelling along. With the advent of electronic ignition and less opportunity for amateurs to alter anything, there is probably now less instances of it.

Comment

Other than with those irritating oiks with their 4" diameter exhausts and noisy motor carriages.

I'd shoot the lot.

Then they'd really know what gunshots sounded like.

<DoctorStrangelove in "Go Ahead, make my day" mode>
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

I use the kill switch on my bike to scare cyclists and horses.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
              I use the kill switch on my bike to scare cyclists and horses.

Comment

From a story today

Depends on what kind of wankanator the car is using and if the pistols are firing on all cylinders.

Comment

If I lived in SE London, and I heard a car back-firing, I'd assume it was a gunshot...

His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Like this?

Cops Mistake Launch Control for Machine Gun Fire - The Drive

or bikes doing it

There Was No Gunfire in Times Square. But the Panic Was Still Real. - The New York Times

Just modern times innit
                    Last edited by northernladuk; 10 September 2019, 17:00.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X