• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car backfiring ????

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Two men drinking in a nearby pub heard one gunshot, but believed it to be a car backfiring

From a story today

Was this a thing in the 1960’s I dont think I’ve ever heard a car back firing? But I’ve heard several gunshots in my time.

What’s more common ? Is it a real thing

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    A petrol car will backfire repeatedly like a Laurel and Hardy car if one accidently puts diesel in it! (Or maybe it's the other way round? )
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      A petrol car will backfire repeatedly like a Laurel and Hardy car if one accidently puts diesel in it! (Or maybe it's the other way round? )
      I have heard before that is diesel in a petrol car. Petrol in a diesel car will just kill it.

And I heard a motorbike backfire today. Or maybe it was just WTFH taking shots at me while cycling.....

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
        Two men drinking in a nearby pub heard one gunshot, but believed it to be a car backfiring

From a story today

Was this a thing in the 1960’s I dont think I’ve ever heard a car back firing? But I’ve heard several gunshots in my time.

What’s more common ? Is it a real thing

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
        All the chavs round here drive cars like this.

Can't remember the last time I heard a car in Swindon that didn't sound like Jihadi John with an AK...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          I have heard before that is diesel in a petrol car. Petrol in a diesel car will just kill it.

And I heard a motorbike backfire today. Or maybe it was just WTFH taking shots at me while cycling.....
          what seems to be prevalent these days is the "chipping" of vehicles to way outside of their normal power band and variation of valve timing by fitting higher performance cams, which results in road-going vehicles being tuned to racing standards and behaving so, where slow running characteristics are not important. This is also an area where backfiring occurs because of the excessive overlap of the valves.

Comment

Working...
          X