• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Asbestos...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asbestos...

Good day everyone.

I join you today in the hope of answering some of your questions regarding Asbestos, and the Consultancy/Removal of materials.

Today I joined because I have just had a contract offered to me for a new book, which now allows me to step back from the industry that I have served so well, I mean, that once this book hits the shelves, and my name becomes known, I won't be able to work again.

But in the interest of public safety, and business coffers, the information I go onto divulge is sure to rock the establishment.

All I can say to those in the Asbestos Sector is this, you should have all behaved better! Come in number 9 your time is up!!

So. without further adieu, if anyone wants to ask anything, even the most technical of questions, then feel free and I'll help where I can, whilst being as honest as I can.

James.

Wrong kind of contractors.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Wrong kind of contractors.
      Quite.

We're only innerested in bubble fronted DMUs and such like with a passing innerest in the A303.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by Asbestos Expert View Post
        Good day everyone.

I join you today in the hope of answering some of your questions regarding Asbestos, and the Consultancy/Removal of materials.

Today I joined because I have just had a contract offered to me for a new book, which now allows me to step back from the industry that I have served so well, I mean, that once this book hits the shelves, and my name becomes known, I won't be able to work again.

But in the interest of public safety, and business coffers, the information I go onto divulge is sure to rock the establishment.

All I can say to those in the Asbestos Sector is this, you should have all behaved better! Come in number 9 your time is up!!

So. without further adieu, if anyone wants to ask anything, even the most technical of questions, then feel free and I'll help where I can, whilst being as honest as I can.

James.
        Do you know anything about bleeding radiators?
        Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
          Do you know anything about bleeding radiators?
          and chutney spoons?

Comment

Was it A Good Idea to put blue asbestos in the filter tips of Kent cigarettes between 1952 and 1956?
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

MMMF - The New Asbestos.

It's been known for man, many years that MMMF has the same characteristics as Asbestos, certainly in the case of casing scaring in the lungs of those that breathe it, in point of fact, when using Phase Contrast Microscopy, the fibres are not distinguishable, they are therefore counted in the same way as if asbestos is present.

Now quite why it's taken so long for this issue to start making the rounds is obvious, Money, the asbestos industry is running out of work, the materials that are present in buildings has all but been identified, and the duty holders are waking up to the usual "you really should have this removed because of x, y, z.

As duty holders are becoming more aware, more asbestos is being left safely in situ and managed, quite righty too. The annoying bit about this sudden revelation about MMMF is that the survey required for it's identification is the exact same survey customers would have done for asbestos, in many instances the same could/should be said for Lead in Paint and Anthrax, common in old plater, which I'll discuss another time.

So what is everyone to make of the 'new scare', make of it what you will, but you WILL see this being turned into law within the next five years, we know it will take at least this long because when Regulation 4 - The Duty to Manage came out it took this and then some for it to happen, although when it finally did hit the shelves it was watered down, I say this because the initial intent was to remove the term 'as far as reasonably practicable', this effectively means, you should treat or remove the asbestos so long as it is reasonable, in terms of cost consideration. The then term would have been 'as far as practicable' you will meet your legal obligations to safeguard those that might come into contact with it or its airborne fibres.

Let me put this into context for you, you're a jobbing boiler engineer, the duty holder knows there is asbestos that 'may' be subject to fibre release but given the nature of the work and likely complexities, the work cannot be undertaken because it will cost, lets say, 300k. No if one person was expected to be going into said area, maybe once a week, the likely exposure meant that 'so far as reasonably practicable' the duty holder didn't need to undertake the work, install controls, but not undertake the removal.

So what happens to Mr Engineer? Not a lot on the face of it, because the short duration, low contact assessment means the risk is low, but remember, he is a jobbing engineer, so he's in and out of areas like this all the time, so a one time, low level exposure is going to be accumulative, meaning the poor person is going to have exposure, upon exposure, upon exposure.

I say, what's the point of saying that there is a new risk, one that I have personally known about since the early 90's, if TPTB cant decide if some material is okay to leave when they know it's present.

It's odd, that's all I'm saying!

Comment

There are no wrong kind of contractors.

Every contractor is a right contractor.

As I say, free advice on something that might save you life is hard to come by, think of it this way, if you're not bothered about yourself, have a look at the stats for loves ones contracting an asbestos related disease, be it a loved on washing your clothes, or child giving you a hug when you get in.

There's no excuse for ignorance.

Comment

Good day everyone.

James.
                  I have a question .... why do you think predominately IT contractors would have any interest in asbestos?

I have a second question ..... how many forums have you joined this week with the aim of selling your services/promoting your book?
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Good day everyone.
                    Not as good as it was.

Comment

Working...
                    X