• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I feel such a moob

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel such a moob

Reading about all these scammer sites, I've always thought along the lines "Those daft twats getting caught by them. It could never happen to me!"

But now I've fallen for the most blatant pathetic scam, although quick remedial action meant I didn't actually lose any money.

Had an email purporting to be from the Post Office saying a delivery had failed as there was an excess £3.45 to pay. As I work away from home and am usually expecting a delivery or two each week, I absent-mindedly clicked on the link and started filling in the resulting form.

I thought it was a bit odd that a Post Office form should include a "ZIP Code" field instead of a Post Code. But sailing past this flapping red flag, I also failed at first to spot the obviously dodgy URL, the logo "Royal Mail Croup Ltd" ('C' instead of 'G'), and the fact that the form asked for my Sort Code, which seemed unusual (but not my Account Number oddly enough).

Having submitted the first page, with all my payment details, I finally twigged that it was a scam. and quickly logged into my bank app and transferred all the available funds from that account into another and requested a block on the card and a replacement.

But it just shows, you don't have to be gullible and naive to fall for these tricks, although I freely admit to being both on this occasion. Absent mindedness and complacancy is just as much of a risk!
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Reading about all these scammer sites, I've always thought along the lines "Those daft twats getting caught by them. It could never happen to me!"

But now I've fallen for the most blatant pathetic scam, although quick remedial action meant I didn't actually lose any money.

Had an email purporting to be from the Post Office saying a delivery had failed as there was an excess £3.45 to pay. As I work away from home and am usually expecting a delivery or two each week, I absent-mindedly clicked on the link and started filling in the resulting form.

I thought it was a bit odd that a Post Office form should include a "ZIP Code" field instead of a Post Code. But sailing past this flapping red flag, I also failed at first to spot the obviously dodgy URL, the logo "Royal Mail Croup Ltd" ('C' instead of 'G'), and the fact that the form asked for my Sort Code, which seemed unusual (but not my Account Number oddly enough).

Having submitted the first page, with all my payment details, I finally twigged that it was a scam. and quickly logged into my bank app and transferred all the available funds from that account into another and requested a block on the card and a replacement.

But it just shows, you don't have to be gullible and naive to fall for these tricks, although I freely admit to being both on this occasion. Absent mindedness and complacancy is just as much of a risk!
    I'm amazed you twigged it by the end. Very impressed. When are you going to see through the Leave campaign?
    Last edited by Old Greg; 10 September 2019, 15:15.

Comment

I'm surprised this wasn't picked up by spam filters. I can't remember the last time anything like this made it in to my inbox.
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Getting plenty from Nigeria ATM in my spam box.

For future reference the RM will only ever post a 'grey card' (their term) through your letter box. This will have the excess on it and you must go to the local sorting office within 28 days WITH THE CARD to even look at it. When you do see it you can decide whether it's worth paying the excess or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          I'm amazed you twigged it by the end. Very impressed. When are you going to see through the Leave campaign?

The search continues for a bright Brexiter ...
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

You signed up for a CUK account thinking it was a site full of professional contractors, tons of useful posts and fair moderation?

But it just shows, you don't have to be gullible and naive to fall for these tricks,
            To be fair you appear to have just made a bloody good argument that you do.
            Last edited by northernladuk; 10 September 2019, 15:53.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              You signed up for a CUK account thinking it was a site full of professional contractors and tons of useful posts?
              I fell for that too.. [emoji23]

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
              If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                You signed up for a CUK account thinking it was a site full of professional contractors, tons of useful posts and fair moderation?
                To be fair, I learnt how to bleed a radiator...

His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Another good scam I've heard about goes like this...

The nefarious oik(s)TM order a mobile phone, with contract, in your name registered to your address.

A few days later, a shiny new phone arrives to your door. Which, of course, you're not expecting. Unbeknownst to you, your home is being staked out...

Half an hour later, someone who looks to be from the same the delivery company turns up and says, "we delivered a parcel by mistake and need to return it to sender, can we have it back please?"*

You weren't expecting a parcel so the enquiry seems legit and you hand it over.

Nefarious oik(s)TM now have a shiny new phone and you're left paying for a phone contract you never signed up to.

*EDIT
                  It's more likely the enquiry will be:
                  "we are deliverings a parcel which is not for you, we are mindful that this is inconvenient but we need to take it back in order to do the needful"
                  Last edited by ladymuck; 10 September 2019, 16:36.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    Another good scam I've heard about goes like this...

The nefarious oik(s)TM order a mobile phone, with contract, in your name registered to your address.

A few days later, a shiny new phone arrives to your door. Which, of course, you're not expecting. Unbeknownst to you, your home is being staked out...

Half an hour later, someone who looks to be from the same the delivery company turns up and says, "we delivered a parcel by mistake and need to return it to sender, can we have it back please?"*

You weren't expecting a parcel so the enquiry seems legit and you hand it over.

Nefarious oik(s)TM now have a shiny new phone and you're left paying for a phone contract you never signed up to.

*EDIT
                    It's more likely the enquiry will be:
                    "we are deliverings a parcel which is not for you, we are mindful that this is inconvenient but we need to take it back in order to do the needful"
                    I probably would have fell for that.

Comment

Working...
                    X