• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much would you need to go permie, seriously?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Depends on the total "package"

For me it has to be a good baseline salary (i'd say £75k min) plus:

At least 10% pension contribution on top
    The best possible private healthcare (so that means disregard all prio medical history as a minimum) including whole family
    30 days paid holiday
    35 hours max working week
    Fully subsidised restaurant
    Onsite gym
    Walking distance from home in under 15 mins

Which I have

Yes I'm a permie bitch
    I know you said you were paid in sterling but I didn't realise things were that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      I know you said you were paid in sterling but I didn't realise things were that bad.
      I'm easily pleased at my age.

Comment

Kevin Keegan
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Depends on the total "package"

For me it has to be a good baseline salary (i'd say £75k min) plus:

At least 10% pension contribution on top
          The best possible private healthcare (so that means disregard all prio medical history as a minimum) including whole family
          30 days paid holiday
          35 hours max working week
          Fully subsidised restaurant
          Onsite gym
          Walking distance from home in under 15 mins

Which I have

Yes I'm a permie bitch
          75K?
          Seriously? Oh dear. And you voted for Brexit? which will reduce that further.
          Oh dearie me.
          Think I last earned 75K in the 90s.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            75K?
            Seriously? Oh dear. And you voted for Brexit? which will reduce that further.
            Oh dearie me.
            Think I last earned 75K in the 90s.
            I didn't know blowing sailors down the docks paid that well.

Comment

I'm easily pleased at my age.
              That will stand you in good stead over the Hungry Years.

Comment

How much?

A lobotomy.

Going permie is giving in.

Better to fail chasing something you really want to do, a plan B, or doing something that benefits humanity or its impact on the world if you must get a 'job'. Never forget that you're alive, and the time left is shorter than you think.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

I learnt my lesson - essentially matched my take home. Money side was exceptional - had a car allowance on top and, to be blunt, at the time my wife was also working full time and we could barely spend the cash (Though we did, which perhaps wasn't all that smart).

Anyway, after a year I handed in my notice and walked back into the cold. May have just been that job, but the moment I read the contract and saw the holiday days, policies and all that crap I felt I'd made a mistake. So, right now, I'd do everything in my power to avoid it

Comment

More than the money, what I would miss the most from contracting is the freedom.

Having said that, I can see myself go back to a permanent job only if I can do part-time, say no more than 3 days a week so I can spend more time doing the things I love (hobbies, family and so on..) but still have a chunky enough paycheck.

For a 3 day a week job, I'd be okay with an annual salary in the £50-60k region, plus the typical benefits (bonus, pension, healthcare,...).

Hopefully going to happen in the next 5 years.

Comment

In discussions with current role about going perm.

Money doesn't really matter, it's more the perks and lifestyle that I fight for. In this case the offer of 6 weeks holiday, plus one month a year I can work remotely from a country of my choice swung it for me. I went contracting so I could travel, and this work will let me do that while I am perm, so I am fine with that.

Comment

Working...
                      X