• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much would you need to go permie, seriously?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure tbh. I've had 6 figures chucked at me, but I suspect for that sort of package they'd want the soul of your first born child. I'm quite happy turning up, doing my work and going home.

Every so often I think of going perm just to climb the slippery pole because I figure the only way to get anything approaching what you can earn as a contractor is in senior management, but the thought of focal reviews and all the other pointless permie stuff makes me want to

I might consider a technical presales/technical account management job for a startup I believed in, but no way would I want to work as a permie in a lot of the corporates I've done as a contractor.
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Depends on the total "package"

For me it has to be a good baseline salary (i'd say £75k min) plus:

At least 10% pension contribution on top
      The best possible private healthcare (so that means disregard all prio medical history as a minimum) including whole family
      30 days paid holiday
      35 hours max working week
      Fully subsidised restaurant
      Onsite gym
      Walking distance from home in under 15 mins

Which I have

Yes I'm a permie bitch
      I haven't seen any jobs like that in Wales!

Comment

Originally posted by KentDogWalker View Post
        I'm looking at a permie role. Typically I made 500 an day, but the market sucks in frontend.

How much would you need to go permie, seriously?
        How much do you spend in a month?

That amount as a minimum I would expect.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          How much do you spend in a month?

That amount as a minimum I would expect.
          This is what makes the most sense, at a basic level. What you need to earn is based on your outgoings. What you want to earn is based on your aspirations.

However, as many have said, hard cash is just the start of the conversation. So much more to consider.

Comment

£80k, and decent benefits package, and plenty of flexibility or based outside of London.

Currently on £500 p/d, and happy doing what I'm doing, but I'm not wedded to being a contractor - if the right opportunity with right package and growth opportunities came along, I'd jump at the chance. Some people seem to wear the contractor tag like a badge of honour, but personally I think I miss some of the frivolities of permiedom, including 1-2-1s and pay reviews.... Not enough to halve my take home though.
            Last edited by fiisch; 13 September 2019, 13:04.

Comment

Originally posted by fiisch View Post
              £80k, and decent benefits package, and plenty of flexibility or based outside of London.
              I thi k many of the responses are taking in to account there are tough times ahead and are factoring in some bench time rather than a like for like comparisons.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If asked to go permie, ask for a stupid amount of money. That's what I've done. And twice they've said yes...
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  If asked to go permie, ask for a stupid amount of money. That's what I've done. And twice they've said yes...
                  Apparently that's what tradesmen do when they're quoting for a job they don't want to do..
                  If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
                    Apparently that's what tradesmen do when they're quoting for a job they don't want to do..
                    It's called a 'Fuck Off Price'.

I nearly ended up working in Qatar after giving one of them. Fortunately they tried to stuff me on the benefits package at the last minute so saved me from myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      It's called a 'Fuck Off Price'.

I nearly ended up working in Qatar after giving one of them. Fortunately they tried to stuff me on the benefits package at the last minute so saved me from myself.
                      Nothing quite so drastic but I did a **** Off quote for a ridiculous bank holiday weekend (+ days either side) with insane amounts of overtime. Put it this way, even after I worked it I was convinced they were going to push back on the frankly outrageous invoice.

Comment

Working...
                      X