• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much would you need to go permie, seriously?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Once Boris the Liar has done his thing you lot will all be on Universal Credit.

HTH.

I'm holding out for a citizen's income so I can be paid to bench warm. Better reserve your benches before the hobos take them all.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
      Absolutely howling at everyone on this thread bragging about their permie salaries. It's like a man saying how tall he is. Knock at least two inches off & that's his real height [emoji23]

My £75k was per month in case of confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Exactly this. The IR35 reforms in April might cause the majority of clients to drop contractors causing a massive flood of people on the market. At that point the £500 - £1000 per day contracts will be replaced by £100 /day and the £80K permie roles will be filled and gone in an instant.

Enjoy your "freedoms" people, the freedom to be hounded by HMR&C and eat out of a food bank.
        Did this happen in the public sector?

I didn't see this, on the whole things have carried on exactly the same as they did before. As I have pointed out here even the HMRC is offering outside contracts at the usual rates. All it seems to have done is clear out some dead-wood.

It is just going to stop people working for the same client for ten years and similar nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
          Did this happen in the public sector?

I didn't see this, on the whole things have carried on exactly the same as they did before. As I have pointed out here even the HMRC is offering outside contracts at the usual rates. All it seems to have done is clear out some dead-wood.

It is just going to stop people working for the same client for ten years and similar nonsense.
          It is just going to stop people working for the same client for ten years and similar nonsense
          length of contract has very little bearing on employment status, although salary differential between permie and contractor may have.

Comment

The expectation that would come with the role would tarnish the money
            ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              My £75k was per month in case of confusion.

Lebanese pounds, naturally.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                Not sure tbh. I've had 6 figures chucked at me, but I suspect for that sort of package they'd want the soul of your first born child.

Every so often I think of going perm just to climb the slippery pole because I figure the only way to get anything approaching what you can earn as a contractor is in senior management, but the thought of focal reviews and all the other pointless permie stuff makes me want to
                I hate to break it to you but the gap between perm salaries and contractor/interim rates in senior IT management isn't that great. E.g. Head of IT or IT Director salary in a large company is typically £100-150k basic (at least in the South East). Equivalent day rates are something like 750-1200. Factor in the target bonus of say, 20-40%, company car, pension etc and you can see the gap isn't that large, especially if billing around 150 days a year which is the average according to the latest Institute of Interim Management annual survey. (That number has fallen for 5 consecutive years from 167.) There is actually an increasing number of permie senior managers going the other way to join the 'white collar gig economy' to have all the benefits of freedom that many contractors originally were attracted to. One of the main benefits is more time off, 3-4 months a year is common.

Interestingly, I was given a detailed salary/rates survey by one of the big recruiters recently and CISO salaries are on a par with a CIO. So, there are still skillsets that are in demand with good rates but these are clearly the exception at the moment. What I think is more worrying for many people here is that even if you take a more optimistic view that things must eventually get better as new technologies trigger future demand, the demand for these is predicted to be even more concentrated in London.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
                  length of contract has very little bearing on employment status, although salary differential between permie and contractor may have.
                  It would be good for me if you were right about this. Has this ever been a factor? I agree that it should be an indication of whether it's disguised salary.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmic View Post
                    Who on earth would pay that as a perm. Most jobs outside London don't pay that unless it's at director level. All architect and dev roles come around 45 to 80k mark.
                    Financial Technology firms, maybe others too I guess. I do more than dev work though.
                    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by cosmic View Post
                      Who on earth would pay that as a perm. Most jobs outside London don't pay that unless it's at director level. All architect and dev roles come around 45 to 80k mark.
                      Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                      Financial Technology firms, maybe others too I guess. I do more than dev work though.
                      It's true that a large majority of the highest paid roles are in London but there are some regional hotspots. I've worked in the likes of Cambridge, Milton Keynes and Luton which are all in the top dozen or so UK cities with highest average earnings and have several large FTSE 250/Fortune 500 type companies. You don't necessarily have to be at director level but would need to be pretty senior in a functional role or head of a team.

Comment

Working...
                      X