• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Renewable energy : why bother?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renewable energy : why bother?

Climate change: Electrical industry's 'dirty secret' boosts warming - BBC News

It's the most powerful greenhouse gas known to humanity, and emissions have risen rapidly in recent years

Where once large coal-fired power stations brought energy to millions, the drive to combat climate change means they are now being replaced by mixed sources of power including wind, solar and gas.

This has resulted in many more connections to the electricity grid, and a rise in the number of electrical switches and circuit breakers that are needed to prevent serious accidents.

Collectively, these safety devices are called switchgear. The vast majority use SF6 gas to quench arcs and stop short circuits.

------------------------------

Lets just start burning coal again. At least the UK has plenty of it.

If only they could harness the power of the tumbleweed.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      The vast majority use SF6 gas to quench arcs and stop short circuits.
      I don't see why there's a need to quench arcs when opening circuits at substations. Let the arcs be free!

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
        I don't see why there's a need to quench arcs when opening circuits at substations. Let the arcs be free!

Was that supposed to be a link to demonstrate your point?

EDIT: link didn't work on the Android app, works fine in the browser :
        Last edited by ladymuck; 14 September 2019, 12:16.

Comment

I do have to wonder about random wind turbines dotted across the countryside.

Just seems like a way for farmers / renewable energy cos to cream money off the govt via subsidies.

Comment

Random?

One tedious morning I counted a mere 75 wind turbines clearly visible from Ye Newe Sloughe of Desponde.

Instead of coal tips we now have wind turbines.

At least the coal mines provided jobs.

The wind turbines, not so much, being imported.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
              Random?

One tedious morning I counted a mere 75 wind turbines clearly visible from Ye Newe Sloughe of Desponde.

Well they do provide a job. For Diver. So its worth it.....

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                Random?

They're pretty random over this side of the Bristol Channel but looking across to the other side it looks like you boys have definitely taken one for the team on that score.

Comment

Those giant propellers in the Bristol Channel area are there to pull Airstrip One away from EUrasia.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
                  X