• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thomas Cook lists itself for sale on Ceefax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    So 9/11 worked out for you OK?
    Whatever you're hinting at, I'm not biting. I was agreeing with Hobo, in that if one takes reasonable precautions, then if one is stranded due to a freak event, one needn't be out of pocket (much).
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Ooh, that was a little close - landed yesterday afternoon with Thomas Cook, only because we decided to keep the holiday shorter than usual due to our child.

Service was great, but you could definitely feel the tension - and the pilot seemed VERY keen to get the aircraft turned around and off the ground, presumably because you can't impound a plane in flight!

Comment

UK ministers accused of sealing Thomas Cook's fate | Business | The Guardian

Comment

This is actually the problem

"The firm’s last three chief executives took home combined pay packages – including bonuses – worth more than £35m in the past 12 years, triggering calls from the Labour party for the bosses to return their windfalls."

3 chief execs in 12 years taking home best part of 2 odd million per year.

And exactly what did Thomas Cook get for their 2 million per year?

Comment

We need a share price graph. Where are the graphers when you need them.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
              Scooter is too busy graphing his stays at the Heathrow Thistle.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                Whatever you're hinting at, I'm not biting. I was agreeing with Hobo, in that if one takes reasonable precautions, then if one is stranded due to a freak event, one needn't be out of pocket (much).
                I feel sorry for those stranded at an airport. Presume once past security you can't just walk back out if no flights likely for days?

If they're still at the hotel then hopefully a deal can be done where they get cheap accommodation, seeing as the next batch of TC holidaymakers aren't going to be arriving at the hotel, so the rooms may be available and the hotel will be looking to recoup what it can before the aggro of claiming compo from ATOL etc.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Two governments were prepared to back a British brand, the UK government wasn’t.

If only the UK could be run from Brussels.....

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
                    Here you go, along with commentary on why the share price nose dived over the years. Interestingly the share price rose around 1500% between 2012 and 2014 when there was obviously a lot more confidence it could turn itself around.

How Thomas Cook's share price history since 2007 reveals where it's all gone wrong for the group | This is Money

Comment

It's an interesting graph - as it clearly shows share prices going up after June 2016 when the Brexit vote took place.

Comment

Working...
                      X