• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thomas Cook lists itself for sale on Ceefax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    It's an interesting graph - as it clearly shows share prices going up after June 2016 when the Brexit vote took place.
    In what currency? See if you can join the dots. I've given you a good clue.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
      I feel sorry for those stranded at an airport. Presume once past security you can't just walk back out if no flights likely for days?
      Same as with any cancellation. Luggage is taken off the flight (if loaded), or retrieved from the baggage system - then you're guided through the airport to baggage pickup, and exit via customs. I can't recall if you have to go through immigration again.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
        I feel sorry for those stranded at an airport. Presume once past security you can't just walk back out if no flights likely for days?

If they're still at the hotel then hopefully a deal can be done where they get cheap accommodation, seeing as the next batch of TC holidaymakers aren't going to be arriving at the hotel, so the rooms may be available and the hotel will be looking to recoup what it can before the aggro of claiming compo from ATOL etc.
        You can't go through Security without a boarding pass, and you won't be checked in unless there's an actual flight. So those stranded at airports are in a check-in waiting area.
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
          You can't go through Security without a boarding pass, and you won't be checked in unless there's an actual flight. So those stranded at airports are in a check-in waiting area.
          Nearest I've experience to this is last year when 'the beast from the East' meant my flight was delayed after I'd gone through check-in and security. It wasn't certain the flights would depart as many of the UK airports were closed or struggling, so we sat around for hours waiting for updates. Fortunately our flight went ahead eventually as the airports got on top of the problem and re-opened the runways.

So I'm sure there would have been some already checked-in expecting a TC flight that never arrived or departed (how much warning did the airports get that the scheduled/charter flights weren't arriving or to ground planes ready to start boarding?) and stranded at the airport until someone assisted them with temporary accommodation or an alternative flight.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Thomas Cook had GBP3.1bn hole in balance sheet before collapse | Business | The Guardian

Comment

Not at all surprised.

And the German government has got a pile of steaming tulipe on its hands - I doubt it will see its money anytime soon.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

"Turkey will make up for tourists lost in Thomas Cook collapse - minister":

BA & Jet 2 are looking to increase flights to Turkey.

Turkey will make up for tourists lost in Thomas Cook collapse - minister - Reuters

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                  Just to be pedantic, yes you can otherwise who would man those overpriced shops or clean the toilets?
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    Not at all surprised.

And the German government has got a pile of steaming tulipe on its hands - I doubt it will see its money anytime soon.
                    Why? If you're talking about Condor and the bailout from the German and Hessen governments then they will see their money. The only reason they gave the bridging loan was because Condor is actually in the black and business is quite good for them...
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                      Just to be pedantic, yes you can otherwise who would man those overpriced shops or clean the toilets?
                      Staff go through a different door to passengers. I'm sure you either knew that, or suspected it. So now you do know. It used to be far easier for the staff than it is now. I've been airside just by keying in a door code ffs. I hope you all take comfort in knowing that was such a long time ago...
                      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                      X