• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just a thought on IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a thought on IR35

The legislation requiring IR35 status to be determined by private sector companies is contained in the 2019/20 Finance Act, which is still in draft. It would normally be presented with the Budget and voted on by Parliament, which is currently done in October.

Now, the Government, having prorogued Parliament, cannot have a Budget while Parliament is not sitting, and when it does sit again, will be very busy preparing for [Brexit][Election][Further Prorogation][staying out of prison]*, so are unlikely to have a Budget at any time soon.

Even if they did, and they remained in office long enough, the way the numbers stack up it would seem very unlikely that they would get the Budget to pass.

AIUI, the emergency financial statement that the Chancellor presented earlier in the month was enough to allow the tax rates and some other financial instruments to roll over in April (they are also normally presented in the Budget), but they did not pass this years Finance Act in it's entirety into law.

So, if we accept that normal government will not resume until things have settled down one way or another, I would say that it is exceptionally unlikely that we will get any sort of Budget until the new year. This make the cries of there being not enough time to implement the IR35 changes even more poignant, and that makes it likely, IMHO, that the measures will be delayed until at least April 2021.

What do you think?

Just because Parliament isn't sitting, doesn't mean the Treasury cannot plan a budget. It will follow the Queen's Speech rather closely I suspect.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I thought most of the number crunching and prep in the background for any policy is done by the permanent secretaries and lower so aren't affected by whatever is going on in Parliament at the time no?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Just because Parliament isn't sitting, doesn't mean the Treasury cannot plan a budget. It will follow the Queen's Speech rather closely I suspect.
        If we are heading towards a "no-deal" exit I would think they would have much bigger fish to fry. I suppose it would all hinge on that.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
          The legislation requiring IR35 status to be determined by private sector companies is contained in the 2019/20 Finance Act, which is still in draft. It would normally be presented with the Budget and voted on by Parliament, which is currently done in October.

Now, the Government, having prorogued Parliament, cannot have a Budget while Parliament is not sitting, and when it does sit again, will be very busy preparing for [Brexit][Election][Further Prorogation][staying out of prison]*, so are unlikely to have a Budget at any time soon.

Even if they did, and they remained in office long enough, the way the numbers stack up it would seem very unlikely that they would get the Budget to pass.

AIUI, the emergency financial statement that the Chancellor presented earlier in the month was enough to allow the tax rates and some other financial instruments to roll over in April (they are also normally presented in the Budget), but they did not pass this years Finance Act in it's entirety into law.

So, if we accept that normal government will not resume until things have settled down one way or another, I would say that it is exceptionally unlikely that we will get any sort of Budget until the new year. This make the cries of there being not enough time to implement the IR35 changes even more poignant, and that makes it likely, IMHO, that the measures will be delayed until at least April 2021.

What do you think?
          and that makes it likely, IMHO, that the measures will be delayed until at least April 2021

let's hope so, as I personally will be out of it by then - retired.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post

What do you think?
            Various MP blogs in the Conservative party are saying budget will go ahead

Comment

They have to put forward a budget for 2020/21 (they being whoever is in power), if it remains the Tories they've aleady done their prep work. The other parties similarly will have spending plans ready. The only configuration that I think might affect it is a coalition, it may take time to come up with and there'll be a certain amount of horse trading happening. The only way OPR will be one of the measures being discussed is if one of the parties wants to delay or repeal it. The legislation is already written and has had quite a long lead time so it's not a likely candidate for change in my view.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
                Various MP blogs in the Conservative party are saying budget will go ahead
                Number 10: "Line to take: business as usual, everything's running smoothly."

Tory MPs: "But nobody in their right minds will believe that!"

Number 10: "I don't give a tulip, stick that on your ******* blogs or your ******* Twitters or your ******* Facebooks or wherever NOW or else."

Comment

Sajid Javid tipped to unveil Budget 2019 on or around October 21st

Move on, nowt to see here ...
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                    "The essential English leadership secret does not depend on particular intelligence. Rather, it depends on a remarkably stupid thick-headedness. The English follow the principle that when one lies, one should lie big, and stick to it. They keep up their lies, even at the risk of looking ridiculous." - Joseph Goebbels, 12 January 1941.

Comment

Working...
                    X