• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Labour members call to 'redistribute' private schools' assets

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sort of get where they are coming from as last year looked at the public accounts of the grammar school nearest to my house (it is non-fee paying one) and they had £14 million in the bank. Mrs QH is on the governing body of both kids' junior school and they haven't a pot to p*ss in.

However, it is their money, why do they think it should be redistributed? I have no love whatsoever for the Tories but my goodness Labour like to shoot themselves in the foot on a regular basis. What a mess.

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

I'm happy enough with removing the charitable status of private schools.
      I think that the use of trust funds to avoid tax that is used to pay for school fees is in need of some sort of review.

But for me, I'd rather they banned faith schools.

Here's one example of how stupid faith school systems are.
      To improve your chances of going to a Catholic school you need to be Catholic.
      To improve your chances of going to a CofE school you can be any sort of Christian, including Catholic.

Basically the state have brought in rules that favours exclusivity in schools that are NOT the state religion.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        Aww ani't that nice. Dim's estate in Swindon should be next, could probably house a number of refugees roaming the streets.

Where's me ballet paper, Corbyn get's my vote!
        No paper edition, sadly, but you can sign up for their newsletter, if ballet is your thing:

Ballet News | Ballet News | Straight from the stage - bringing you ballet insights
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          I'm happy enough with removing the charitable status of private schools.
          I think that the use of trust funds to avoid tax that is used to pay for school fees is in need of some sort of review.

But for me, I'd rather they banned faith schools.

Here's one example of how stupid faith school systems are.
          To improve your chances of going to a Catholic school you need to be Catholic.
          To improve your chances of going to a CofE school you can be any sort of Christian, including Catholic.

Basically the state have brought in rules that favours exclusivity in schools that are NOT the state religion.
          We could repeal the Act of Supremacy and make papacy the state religion.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            We could repeal the Act of Supremacy and make papacy the state religion.
            So Mary, Queen of Scots wouldn't have died in vain?
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Trump has been successful standing back whilst the democrats think up bat tulip nonsense.

Every parent is aspirational.

This is election death.
              Lots of parents aren't aspirational, though they might tend to be people who don't vote anyway. There definitely are a lot of voters who are ideologically opposed to private schools BUT equally there are lots of Labour voters who aren't, or as you say use private schools or would like to.

On a serious note, I read the BBC story talking about redistributing assets and cutting tax breaks, etc. But they're not talking about banning private schools. Have they explained what they mean about assets? Are they saying private schools must run as non-profit, or what exactly? Does anyone know?

Surely cutting tax-breaks and charitable status means schools will put their fees up to compensate?

Perhaps Labour think they're such a shoe-in for No. 10 they can roll out some lest centrist policies and still get in?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

They will compulsory purchase them.

Comment

Corbyn's bunch of commies haven't thought this through at all.
                  7% of pupils are being privately educated, so that means they need now to be catered for in the state sector somehow, how are they going to pay for that?

Comment

They will compulsory purchase them.
                    No purchase necessary, private schools' assets will be confiscated and the schools themselves will be turned into state schools. According to a loony labour MP on Radio 5 last night, anyway.
                    The result will be lots of happy lawyers, and more posh kids for the yoof of Britain to kick the tulip out of.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                      Corbyn's bunch of commies haven't thought this through at all.
                      7% of pupils are being privately educated, so that means they need now to be catered for in the state sector somehow, how are they going to pay for that?
                      By taxing anyone with anything until no-one has anything...

Comment

Working...
                      X