• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Honest Boris

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honest Boris

This one's a cracker. Apologies if a Graun quote triggers anyone.

Boris Johnson repeatedly declines to comment on claims he 'awarded public funds to friend' | Politics | The Guardian

Boris Johnson repeatedly declines to comment on claims he 'awarded public funds to friend'
    Prime minister refuses six times to be drawn on ties to Jennifer Arcuri, who received thousands in taxpayers’ money

Boris Johnson has repeatedly declined to comment on reported allegations he failed to declare close personal links to an American woman who received thousands of pounds in public business funding while he was mayor of London.

The prime minister, questioned by reporters on his plane en route to the UN general assembly (UNGA) in New York, refused to answer six questions about his links to Jennifer Arcuri, a US technology entrepreneur.

Asked if he wanted to deny any part of the story, or to comment on the nature of his relationship with Arcuri, Johnson also declined to be drawn.

According to the Sunday Times, a company run by Arcuri received access to money to assist her business, as well as places on trade trips, at times following the intervention of mayoral officials.

The paper also reported that Johnson was, at the time, a regular visitor to Arcuri’s east London apartment, and that she described him at the time as “one of my best friends”.

Asked about the reports, Johnson said: “I’m here to talk about what we’re doing in the UN, and this country’s commitment to tackling climate change, stopping loss of biodiversity and our role in serving as a bridge between our European friends and the Americans when it comes to the crisis in the Gulf.”

The report said Arcuri’s most recent company won a £100,000 government cyber skills grant intended to assist UK firms, even though she has now returned to live in the US. The Department for Culture, Media and Sport has confirmed to the Guardian it is investigating how the money was awarded.

Asked whether a further inquiry might be merited into any potential conflict of interests, Johnson said: “I’m here to talk about, as I said, what we’re going to talk about at the UN.”

Asked whether he and Arcuri had ever had a sexual relationship, Johnson said: “If you’ll forgive me, I’m going to talk exclusively about what we’re doing here at the UN.”

He declined to answer three further questions, including being invited to deny any of the allegations made in the Sunday Times article, saying: “I’m going to talk about what we’re doing in the UN.”

Both Labour and Sir Alistair Graham, the former chairman of the Committee on Standards in Public Life, have said Johnson should answer questions on what happened.

Arcuri’s company Innotech was given £10,000 in sponsorship from a mayoral organisation in 2013, the Sunday Times reported. Johnson was also the guest speaker at several of its events, and appeared in a Google hangout alongside Arcuri.

The report also suggests that Arcuri was initially refused permission to attend two of the trade mission trips because her business did not meet the eligibility criteria.

But after the intervention of Johnson, she was allowed on to the missions, according to an email seen by the paper. It points out that Johnson was bound by a Greater London Authority (GLA) code of conduct to declare any private interests. He was also banned from providing undue benefits to friends.

Did anyone say impeach?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Did anyone say impeach?
      If he's not broken the law, it can be changed retrospectively.

But Misconduct in Public Office should do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        If he's not broken the law, it can be changed retrospectively.

But Misconduct in Public Office should do it.
        Can we also have a law against behaving like a clown?

Comment

"and appeared in a Google hangout alongside Arcuri"

Honestly?

This is where we are now?

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            "and appeared in a Google hangout alongside Arcuri"

Honestly?

This is where we are now?
            Apologies if a Graun quote triggers anyone.

Comment

Apologies if a Graun quote triggers anyone.
              Don't apologise, just resist. There is more than enough of your tedious tripe on here as it is without you supplementing the witless garbage with extracts from that dreary comic..

HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

David Cameron: I am evangelical about Christian faith | Politics | The Guardian

Tony Blair believed God wanted him to go to war to fight evil, claims his mentor - Telegraph

Gordon Brown should have been more open about his faith when he was Prime Minister | The Independent

Theresa May reveals how her faith in God gives her confidence she is 'doing the right thing' | The Independent

Honestly, with that track record someone who could get Aleister Crowley on a Ouija board probably has a better chance of success as prime minister.

It's just the lowest level of writing...

"government cyber skills grant intended to assist UK firms, even though she has now returned to live in the US."

It's written for people who do not understand the difference between a legal business entity and a shareholder.

Comment

Honest Boris
                  I read that as Honest Doris. Here's a picture of her.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Why are we merging my posts?

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    David Cameron: I am evangelical about Christian faith | Politics | The Guardian

Tony Blair believed God wanted him to go to war to fight evil, claims his mentor - Telegraph

Gordon Brown should have been more open about his faith when he was Prime Minister | The Independent

Theresa May reveals how her faith in God gives her confidence she is 'doing the right thing' | The Independent

Honestly, with that track record someone who could get Aleister Crowley on a Ouija board probably has a better chance of success as prime minister.

It's just the lowest level of writing...

"government cyber skills grant intended to assist UK firms, even though she has now returned to live in the US."

It's written for people who do not understand the difference between a legal business entity and a shareholder.
                    This was 2 distinct posts.

Why exactly were they merged?

Comment

Working...
                    X