• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Greta Thunberg

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meridian View Post
    So you’re the one breeding the next set of chavs...
    I'm actually becoming quite intrigued by the amount of posts on social media that are outright blaming the kids - "They're the ones who want air conditioning in every classroom", "When I was a kid, we used to recycle glass bottles" etc etc.

Do people not realise that the children are merely products of their parents generation - unless we think 16 year old Greta has got a plastic bag manufacturing plant running on the side, or is designing schools? The disconnect is a little terrifying.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
      unless we think 16 year old Greta has got a plastic bag manufacturing plant running on the side
      I think she is too busy whining.

Maybe one day she will realize that a major issue is overpopulation....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        I think she is too busy whining.

Maybe one day she will realize that a major issue is overpopulation....
        Maybe she will, but I think "Sit down, shut up and carry on as normal" is definitely not a strategy that can work. Something has to change.

Comment

Maybe she will, but I think "Sit down, shut up and carry on as normal" is definitely not a strategy that can work. Something has to change.
          I agree from a humankind perspective. Everyone else can change. I will just carry on.

Okay - lets say that the UK or even Europe gets its act together, what about the USA? What about China?

The only realistic outcome I can see(I would love to be proved wrong) is the poor being stuffed.

Another random thought : if ocean levels keep on rising, London will be under threat soon. Shouldn't we start on a new Thames barrier now?

Comment

I'm actually becoming quite intrigued by the amount of posts on social media that are outright blaming the kids - "They're the ones who want air conditioning in every classroom", "When I was a kid, we used to recycle glass bottles" etc etc.

Do people not realise that the children are merely products of their parents generation - unless we think 16 year old Greta has got a plastic bag manufacturing plant running on the side, or is designing schools? The disconnect is a little terrifying.
            The "Greta Species" isn't new, look back to our own school days, was there one kid in particular who was particularly overboard about some cause or another?

We had one at our school who kept going on about factory farming - he was a prize twat.

It's only "social" media that has increased the audience for this particular troupled teen.
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad
              Depends how you define "chavs". They focus on the sciences, get top grades, work hard. I do wonder if they are related to me....
              Getting top grades and working hard is great. Having a mindset that they can do what they like is perhaps not. It just breeds the type of people that throw litter on the ground 5 feet from a bin, or tear up the town centre on a drunken rampage.

Low-level anti social behaviour is how I would define it.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad
                Which reminds me. Baby bp - now 12 and 170cm - is convinced you have to reach a certain height to start Krav Maga!

There again he came home the other day and said the school were taking him to the woods to do witchcraft. I think I may have accidentally sent him to Hogwarts....
                Tell him he can join my class when he's 2 metres. That should give him some encouragement.
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

watermelons

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                    So you’re the one breeding the next set of chavs...
                    Even in General, generally speaking we leave each others' kids out of it. Cheers.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      It's very funny. They're largely failures in life, and to see this young woman already approaching greatness makes them so angry. Really they're angry with themselves, but they lack the intellectual capacity and insight to address their own inadequacies.
                      Bonkers you are.
                      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                      X