• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Greta Thunberg

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    And in other news, stupid, middle-aged, male gammon still getting triggered by a 16 year old girl.
    Not really just a bit of perspective - however whilst Greta's heart is in the right place ultimately the whole save the planet thing is misguided as it is not a viable long term solution.

Let's put a few facts forward.

1) Climate change is unlikely to end the human race - it may end lots of human lives but that is not the same as ending the human race - so current population about 7.7 billion - 1% of that is 7.7 million - so if climate change wipes out 99% of the population there is still enough people to repopulate the world.

2) Ultimately the earth is a closed ecology - yes it is a very big one but if the population keeps rising then the collapse is inevitable as you can only recycle things so many times - so there needs to be population control or to put it another way someone needs to play god if Greta is to get her way.

3) As has been stated before the sun will become a red giant in 4.5 billion years and that will wipe out all life on earth.

4) So if the human race is to avoid extinction then we really need to get out there and colonise the rest of the universe.

You may say that 4.5 billion year is a long time - it is and it also assumes no other event completely threatens the earth - however if we do not work towards a solution I would imagine the Greta Thunbergs of 4.5 billion years into the future are going to be fooking livid we knew the sun would become a red giant and we did nothing about it.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      Their dreams and childhoods have also been stolen.

News alert: not by a 16 year old Swedish girl though.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
        Their dreams and childhoods have also been stolen.

News alert: not by a 16 year old Swedish girl though.
        Has it been stolen by Trump?

Boris maybe

or is it Putin?

Comment

Has it been stolen by Trump?

Boris maybe

or is it Putin?
          Why don’t you investigate and tell us? The point is, despite you inferring otherwise, it was not a 16 year old Swedish girl.

Comment

Oh look the hard of thinking are reposting a mis-quote of a 16 year old girl for internet points. How sad.

What she really said: "You have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your empty words. Yet I am one of the lucky ones. People are suffering."
            Last edited by BlueSharp; 2 October 2019, 09:38.
            Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
              What she really said: "You have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your empty words. Yet I am one of the lucky ones. People are suffering."
              She wasn't wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
                Oh look the hard of thinking are reposting a mis-quote of a 16 year old girl for internet points. How sad.

Yes and people will continue to suffer whilst a large portion of the world live in abject poverty.

Comment

Yes and people will continue to suffer whilst a large portion of the world live in abject poverty.
                  But as the world as a whole gets richer, the proportion of people in poverty is steadily decreasing, which, coupled with the expected peak population in the next few decades, should be a reason for hope.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

And?

If you breed and you have no means of supporting your offspring then the laws of natural selection come in to play.

As animals, our primary objective is to procreate. However in times past there were natural mechanisms that would keep down the population. Those mechanisms are being over-ridden, the population of the planet is growing, in areas that are unsustainable.

Pay your £3 a month so a village in the middle of nowhere has water and the kiddies don't die of cholera. However, spare a thought for what's going to happen when those kiddies are no-longer kiddies and start breeding kiddies of their own, who's going to support them?
                    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                      And?

If you breed and you have no means of supporting your offspring then the laws of natural selection come in to play.

As animals, our primary objective is to procreate. However in times past there were natural mechanisms that would keep down the population. Those mechanisms are being over-ridden, the population of the planet is growing, in areas that are unsustainable.

Pay your £3 a month so a village in the middle of nowhere has water and the kiddies don't die of cholera. However, spare a thought for what's going to happen when those kiddies are no-longer kiddies and start breeding kiddies of their own, who's going to support them?
                      Indeed.

That was kind of the point - cleaning up the world and stopping climate change will not stop people living on areas of land which cannot support them and thus they will end up living in poverty and disease.

So you could possibly argue that by paying your £3 a month to give the kids some hopes and dreams you are actually just condemning them to a worse life...

Comment

Working...
                      X