• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Greta Thunberg

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    ah

This bit shows as bold on chrome

economy is based on an ever increasing population
    And how do we change the economy, if any suggestion of a centre or left government is met with derision, so the economy will continue to run to a right wing agenda - requiring the population increase - until such times as moderates, or lefties, get into power.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      ... so the economy will continue to run to a right wing agenda -
      Western governments are being crushed by debt in order to pay for the welfare system and you think it's all a right-wing agenda!?!?!?!

Comment

And how do we change the economy, if any suggestion of a centre or left government is met with derision, so the economy will continue to run to a right wing agenda - requiring the population increase - until such times as moderates, or lefties, get into power.

Can I suggest we send you to the US on a yacht with a bucket?

I suppose we can look at other models , any suggestions?
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Did you know that Greta Thunberg is an anagram of "runt then beggar"? Seems a bit harsh. Hope not.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
            Western governments are being crushed by debt in order to pay for the welfare system and you think it's all a right-wing agenda!?!?!?!

Welfare?
            So, absolutely nothing to do with not taxing big business, or spending it on military?
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Welfare?
              So, absolutely nothing to do with not taxing big business, or spending it on military?

nah its all gone up

pretty pictures

UK Government Total Spending Chart Gallery

UK Government Total Revenue Chart Gallery
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Welfare?
                You seem to be living in some media-induced fantasy world old chap. I'm all for spending on welfare, but it needs to be trimmed to align with tax receipts - and it's not.

Military spending in Europe is woefully inadequate (threatening NATO membership) and while I agree that big business is evading tax I'm afraid that even if collected it would not plug the government deficits.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post

You're both right.
                  The capitalist economy needs "growth" i.e. consumers, which means population increases are kind of built in.
                  On the other hand 50% of any population are too thick to be productive in the modern world, yet want to consume like the rest, so you have schemes like universal credit, funded by the state, so they can keep spending. Meanwhile fat cat CEOs earn millions however crap they are - witness Thomas Cook bosses.

Therein lies the biggest problem of modern society, how do you keep the 50% of the pop. which are to the left of the Gaussian curve busy?

Only very few countries have solved this problem, one of which is Germany which retained its manufacturing to keep the stupids busy.
                  I was stunned to learn that Germany still has factories making pencils FFS and they can do this profitably.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    Therein lies the biggest problem of modern society, how do you keep the 50% of the pop. which are to the left of the Gaussian curve busy?
                    Give them a spin bike hooked up to the national grid and make them earn their keep by providing green energy.

Better than paying farmers to cover their fields in solar panels in a country where sunshine requires a trip abroad.
                    They can continue to eat all the cheap crap foods and would still lose weight.
                    The NHS would be relieved of the obesity epidemic.
                    Tax credits and other bennies that are not purely for those genuinely deserving them (the true disabled) would be earned.
                    Will get some of the amateur cyclists off the roads that are a menace to society.
                    British bike manufacturers would need to employ more to cover the demand, boosting the economy and reducing the jobless total in a genuine non-massaged way.
                    More jobs installing and maintaing the bikes.
                    Reduced need for more power stations as many homes would be self-sufficient. Maybe even surplus leccy production to cover all the new electric car power points the country needs.

Sometimes the solution is so simple no-one sees it. [takes a bow]
                    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      You're both right.
                      The capitalist economy needs "growth" i.e. consumers, which means population increases are kind of built in.
                      On the other hand 50% of any population are too thick to be productive in the modern world, yet want to consume like the rest, so you have schemes like universal credit, funded by the state, so they can keep spending. Meanwhile fat cat CEOs earn millions however crap they are - witness Thomas Cook bosses.

Only very few countries have solved this problem, one of which is Germany which retained its manufacturing to keep the stupids busy.
                      I was stunned to learn that Germany still has factories making pencils FFS and they can do this profitably.
                      So globalisation is a big factor (as are automation and changes in agricultural efficiency) The children of Chinese, Indian and other peasant farmers are now doing the jobs that first world working class people were doing 50 years ago. Welfare is the current response to the reality that there is not enough work to go round in the first world. The four day week idea is an interesting approach to distributing work more evenly, but I'm not convinced business is ready for it yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X