• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Greta Thunberg

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    Ban on new car sales so all the current cars will become future classics if they're worth keeping on the road.

May get a V8 while they're still cheap. Not sure if many news cars come with exotic engines other than the bling brigade crap like Ferrari and Lambo that cater for the tasteless rich that need a good fleecing, so a decent V8 (petrol not that tulipty diesel) may already be on the classic curve pricewise.

Seems a more interesting 10 year investment than boring index trackers.
    Hmmm - I think there will be people keeping old cars - but I am not convinced they will ever become 'classics'

Mainly because lets say you had an old phone with a rotary dial - yes maybe in it's hey day it was the best thing since sliced bread - but now because technology has moved on so much it is an antique in much the same way modes of transport will soon mean that V8's etc are just an old thing which will end up having a very niche following but will only be of value to a small number of people - which may unfortunately not be that rich!

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      Hmmm - I think there will be people keeping old cars - but I am not convinced they will ever become 'classics'

Mainly because lets say you had an old phone with a rotary dial - yes maybe in it's hey day it was the best thing since sliced bread - but now because technology has moved on so much it is an antique in much the same way modes of transport will soon mean that V8's etc are just an old thing which will end up having a very niche following but will only be of value to a small number of people - which may unfortunately not be that rich!
      there was a commentator on BBC breakfast just this morning who claimed, rightly in my mind, that keeping old cars was a "green" option as cars use the most resources in their original construction.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
        there was a commentator on BBC breakfast just this morning who claimed, rightly in my mind, that keeping old cars was a "green" option as cars use the most resources in their original construction.
        Well there has always been the 'concern' that cars using batteries actually take up a lot of rare earth metals etc which often mean the carbon footprint of creating the car outweighs any benefits of using a car with some form of battery power to reduce CO2.

Although what you are doing is taking the CO2 out of public place and leaving it in industrial zones... in an ideal world.

Comment

That would apply if it’s only one car, not a collection, and that old car is used as a Regular means of transport, not just something brought out once a week/month year.
          So, keeping old carS is not green. Next you’ll be wanting to bring back smog and lead poisoning because you can justify them as being better for you.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Well there has always been the 'concern' that cars using batteries actually take up a lot of rare earth metals etc which often mean the carbon footprint of creating the car outweighs any benefits of using a car with some form of battery power to reduce CO2.

Although what you are doing is taking the CO2 out of public place and leaving it in industrial zones... in an ideal world.
            There was a suggestion that modern "greener" improvements could be considered for retro fitting to older cars, e.g. catalytic converters. This might be a worthwhile approach. But then full electrification of our railways and re-introducing trams and trolley buses (electric propulsion without consuming so many resources), would also be a good approach, but that's not being considered.

The ICE is pretty endemic in modern society everywhere in the World and can't be un-invented, just like the atom bomb can't be un-invented. We have to live in the nuclear age and come to terms with it. Replacing the ICE in all its forms will take some time. Electric propulsion will take some time to eclipse the power to weight ration of most ICEs and their overall performance. The range of my diesel car is 500+ miles in all weathers and conditions. The range of electric cars is considerably reduced when lights, fans and heaters are used in poor conditions.

I heard a story of where a buyer handed his Jaguar I-pace back because it didn't match its claimed performance and thus didn't meet the buyer's requirements. How many of today's ICE cars can meet their claimed performance figures?

Comment

There was a suggestion that modern "greener" improvements could be considered for retro fitting to older cars, e.g. catalytic converters. This might be a worthwhile approach. But then full electrification of our railways and re-introducing trams and trolley buses (electric propulsion without consuming so many resources), would also be a good approach, but that's not being considered.

The ICE is pretty endemic in modern society everywhere in the World and can't be un-invented, just like the atom bomb can't be un-invented. We have to live in the nuclear age and come to terms with it. Replacing the ICE in all its forms will take some time. Electric propulsion will take some time to eclipse the power to weight ration of most ICEs and their overall performance. The range of my diesel car is 500+ miles in all weathers and conditions. The range of electric cars is considerably reduced when lights, fans and heaters are used in poor conditions.

I heard a story of where a buyer handed his Jaguar I-pace back because it didn't match its claimed performance and thus didn't meet the buyer's requirements. How many of today's ICE cars can meet their claimed performance figures?
              Where is the extra electricity going to magically appear from?
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                Scooters personal hot air wind farm.
                But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

You're probably right. It will be a niche investment like current classic cars or ones we wouldn't have thought as classic like 30 year old Fords that are now rare and therefore expensive due to most rotting away or been scrapped. People interested in those do it for what the offer that current cars don't, nostalgia to simpler times.

We'll see it with some of today's cars not yet infested with so much tech and driving aids they have no carisma () and are a pain to maintain especially as parts become rare.

Most people will embrace leccy cars, and others will be attracted to the performance potential like the Teslas with 'ludicrous mode' that are faster away from the lights than any ICE car they're likely to meet.

You either enjoy cars or you don't and there's likely to be enough petrolheads around in 20 years to keep the demand for the ever rarer stuff going.

There will definitely be some investment opportunities in currently cheap cars but like any investment it needs thorough research and some luck to make it pay off, or just enjoy the investment along the way then the value is less important.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Negative tariffs on imported solar panels (once the Chinese get over the flu and start producing them again ) so we can all have our roofs full of them. Subsidised or free leccy for life.

If they don't build enough new power stations they'll just reduce demand by pricing and taxing accordingly.

I'm sure they'll scrap HS2 and redirect the funds to regional transport instead.
                    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

exactly!

Comment

Working...
                      X