• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Greta Thunberg

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    You're probably right. It will be a niche investment like current classic cars or ones we wouldn't have thought as classic like 30 year old Fords that are now rare and therefore expensive due to most rotting away or been scrapped. People interested in those do it for what the offer that current cars don't, nostalgia to simpler times.

We'll see it with some of today's cars not yet infested with so much tech and driving aids they have no carisma () and are a pain to maintain especially as parts become rare.

Most people will embrace leccy cars, and others will be attracted to the performance potential like the Teslas with 'ludicrous mode' that are faster away from the lights than any ICE car they're likely to meet.

You either enjoy cars or you don't and there's likely to be enough petrolheads around in 20 years to keep the demand for the ever rarer stuff going.

There will definitely be some investment opportunities in currently cheap cars but like any investment it needs thorough research and some luck to make it pay off, or just enjoy the investment along the way then the value is less important.
    Irrespective of what is classed as classic or collectable, the main concern has to be the availability of fuel. However, there are LPG conversions available for some cars and I'd hope that those organisations offering such products might ramp up production and provide solutions for classic and collectable cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
      Where is the extra electricity going to magically appear from?
      Have no fear for Atomic Energy
      None of 'dem gonna stop-pa da time...
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Where is the extra electricity going to magically appear from?
        That's a good question.

So obviously renewables is one source.

Is it feasible to get solar panels to charge your car?

If you genuinely want to reduce pollution then nuclear is the way to go.

Maybe in the future we will have fusion and then all problems go away..

Although there is a concern on how to cope with the 'peak' e.g. everyone gets home from work about 5.30 and plugs in their magic electric car.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          That's a good question.

Is it feasible to get solar panels to charge your car?

Maybe in the future we will have fusion and then all problems go away..

Although there is a concern on how to cope with the 'peak' e.g. everyone gets home from work about 5.30 and plugs in their magic electric car.
          but clearly vested interests are in effect blocking some forms of this. I don't often agree with Peter Hain, but he is right to point out the potential benefits of a tidal system. We have amongst the highest tidal changes in the World and there are no plans to utilise them.

the problem as I see it is that motor transport is being demonised. All ICEs can run on hydrogen gas and emit zero pollutants. Granted, hydrogen gas is potentially dangerous, but I'm sure modern technology could handle the practical logistics.

But as I say, people seem to forget that vested interests will always rule the roost.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            That would apply if it’s only one car, not a collection, and that old car is used as a Regular means of transport, not just something brought out once a week/month year.
            So, keeping old carS is not green. Next you’ll be wanting to bring back smog and lead poisoning because you can justify them as being better for you.

and no

When Used Cars Are More Ecofriendly Than New Cars - Scientific American

It definitely makes more sense from a green perspective to keep your old car running and well-maintained as long as you can‚ especially if it's getting such good mileage. There are significant environmental costs to both manufacturing a new automobile and adding your old car to the ever-growing collective junk heap.
            A 2004 analysis by Toyota found that as much as 28 percent of the carbon dioxide emissions generated during the lifecycle of a typical gasoline-powered car can occur during its manufacture and its transportation to the dealer; the remaining emissions occur during driving once its new owner takes possession. An earlier study by Seikei University in Japan put the pre-purchase number at 12 percent.
            Producing batteries for green technology harms the environment. Here's what needs to change | World Economic Forum

Firstly, producing an electric vehicle contributes, on average, twice as much to global warming potential and uses double the amount of energy than producing a combustion engine car. This is mainly because of its battery.
            As JohnTheBike says retrofitting improved filtering/control systems to classic cars and old cars is a viable way of reducing overall environmental impact.

Jetex Exhausts Ltd – Classic Car Converters

Catalysts for Your Environmentally Friendlier Classic | ViaRETRO

that could be encouraged by changing VED if a car has improvements fitted and they make a significant change to the emissions measured at the MOT.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
              but clearly vested interests are in effect blocking some forms of this. I don't often agree with Peter Hain, but he is right to point out the potential benefits of a tidal system. We have amongst the highest tidal changes in the World and there are no plans to utilise them.

the problem as I see it is that motor transport is being demonised. All ICEs can run on hydrogen gas and emit zero pollutants. Granted, hydrogen gas is potentially dangerous, but I'm sure modern technology could handle the practical logistics.

But as I say, people seem to forget that vested interests will always rule the roost.

There is a 20-25% reduction in demand overnight. As I understand it the reason Nuclear is not running 24*7 is the time it takes to ramp up & down and wind we have to dump energy if the grid can't use it if the demand was more steady nuclear could run constantly.

GB Fuel type power generation production

so if we have cars charging overnight the demand would be smoother.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                There is a 20-25% reduction in demand overnight. As I understand it the reason Nuclear is not running 24*7 is the time it takes to ramp up & down and wind we have to dump energy if the grid can't use it if the demand was more steady nuclear could run constantly.

GB Fuel type power generation production

so if we have cars charging overnight the demand would be smoother.
                Battery packs at home, recharged at night to smooth out demand in the day. Pay to charge at night, get paid when you sell back to the grid.
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Electric cars are the betamax of our time.

There are not enough resources on the planet to produce enough batteries et al to replace the current level of vehicles on the planet. There is barely enough to replace the vehicles in the UK.
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Battery packs at home, recharged at night to smooth out demand in the day. Pay to charge at night, get paid when you sell back to the grid.

indeed so many solutions.

Build more Hydro/Salt/pressure storage.

Vehicle charging

Thermal storage heaters.

Smart meters with economy 7 equivalent for car /wall charging / thermal storage etc. I would just add a toslink connector on a smart meter so the cpu can signal to a third party board "economy X3 started" so it can switch on contactor 3 for vehicle charging etc.

Water pumping in tower blocks done overnight not during the day.

lots of these loads can be switched on and off as needed so balancing the load is possible. If we have a third party board we can select "economy charging" and charge for 14 hours with a guaranteed 8 hours charge taking advantage of cheaper rates if possible or full charge by 6am and it will be on for 8 hours regardless of price. If I could get charging at 33% of the cost I would probably use economy all the time (25 mile commute) unless the next day I needed to use the full range.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      and no
                      That’s a bit of a non-sequitur

If the argument is that keeping an old car is a good thing environmentally - i.e. keeping it and not using much/at all, while having another car to run, then what is the environmental benefit?

If the argument is keeping multiple old cars and not using them much/at all, then what is the environmental benefit?
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X