• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Greta Thunberg

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    That’s a bit of a non-sequitur

If the argument is that keeping an old car is a good thing environmentally - i.e. keeping it and not using much/at all, while having another car to run, then what is the environmental benefit?

If the argument is keeping multiple old cars and not using them much/at all, then what is the environmental benefit?
    You are right as ever. We are all going to have to cycle. I bow to your superior wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      You are right as ever. We are all going to have to cycle. I bow to your superior wisdom.
      no way will you get me out of leather and into bloody lycra!
      cycling's for s

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
        cycling's for s
        Is that what you say to NLyUK?

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          That’s a bit of a non-sequitur

If the argument is that keeping an old car is a good thing environmentally - i.e. keeping it and not using much/at all, while having another car to run, then what is the environmental benefit?

If the argument is keeping multiple old cars and not using them much/at all, then what is the environmental benefit?

I hate people who use foreign phrases in posts to try and sound clever its so passe

We are travelling less miles annually

Average Annual Mileage of Cars in England is Down – Are We Really Driving Less? | NimbleFins

Average Car Mileage UK 2020 | NimbleFins

Unless you are Threaded you can only drive one car at a time so if I own 4 cars I probably only do 7,600 miles. If I can make the environmental cost of running them less then I am all for it.

I owned a Diesel BMW with ~ 300k miles on it, it was 16 years old and still lovely to drive, if someone had said we can make that nearly as environmentally friendly as a new car and adjust the VED so the investment was repaid in 3 years I would have seriously considered it.

As both those links made very clear replacing one of my cars with a new car petrol of electric would have a massive environmental impact that probably wouldn't be repaid on average mileage.

In fact CO2 is up on last year. As my previous post pointed out a catalytic converter could close a lot of that gap on older cars.

FAQs about road transport and the environment

In 2018, the average new car in the UK emitted 124.5 g CO2/km, up 2.9 per cent over the 2017 figure of 121.04 g CO2/km. This is the second consecutive rise in the emissions figure although the 2018 figure remains 31.2 per cent lower than in 2000.
          and

even the estimates are based on owning old cars

A new car is some 20 per cent more efficient than the average car in use. So, if a car leaving the fleet (for example being scrapped), is assumed to be 14 years old, then a new car is almost a third more efficient.
          now there have been massive reductions in petrol emissions so why not build on that and reuse them?

Road vehicles are responsible respectively for 33%, 15% and 18% of the total NOx, PM10 and PM2.5 emissions nationally. Whilst between 1998 and 2011, overall NOx emissions from road transport reduced by 60%, PM10 by 39% and PM2.5 by 46%, the change in emissions does vary between the vehicle types. NOx emissions from petrol cars have reduced by some 90% over this period, whereas emissions from diesel cars have actually risen by 250%.
          So reduce, reuse , recycle in that order.

We need to travel less,use vehicles for longer after reducing impact and when the cars are no longer useful we should recycle them. We shouldn't scrap them all and rape the planet for materials to build electric knob extensions for greenies.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

cycling's for s
            When motorbikes (I presume that's your leather reference) are going leccy too (they even race them in their own class at the annual TT) and pushbikes are going hybrid (motor assisted pedalling, handy on hills for normal people), they'll meet in the middle and the lycra will be replaced with leather.

One positive side effect of cars and trucks going driverless is the roads will be safer for bikers. All the automated vehicles will take automated avoiding action when razzing up the road at currently suicidal speed.
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

I was actually in kwik fit (getting my wheels aligned) and talking to a fellow customer who fancied an electric car but as he does Slough area 3 times a week and Birmingham/Manchester 2 times a week it didn't fit his travel needs. I had a similar offer a few years ago, central London 3 days and darkest Kent 1-2 days a week.

We decided that if he could get a train at a reasonable price he would switch to an electric car if not he is limited to a hybrid. Currently as he has to drive he has a large diesel executive car because if he is going to be in the car an extra 8 hours a week then he might as well be comfortable.

So what is needed is a joined up solution.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

cycling's for s
                Not after last time, anyway

I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

That is slim. Relative to MF....

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

How is Threaded these days?
                    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      I hate people who use foreign phrases in posts to try and sound clever its so passe

We are travelling less miles annually

Average Annual Mileage of Cars in England is Down – Are We Really Driving Less? | NimbleFins

Average Car Mileage UK 2020 | NimbleFins

Unless you are Threaded you can only drive one car at a time so if I own 4 cars I probably only do 7,600 miles. If I can make the environmental cost of running them less then I am all for it.

I owned a Diesel BMW with ~ 300k miles on it, it was 16 years old and still lovely to drive, if someone had said we can make that nearly as environmentally friendly as a new car and adjust the VED so the investment was repaid in 3 years I would have seriously considered it.

As both those links made very clear replacing one of my cars with a new car petrol of electric would have a massive environmental impact that probably wouldn't be repaid on average mileage.

In fact CO2 is up on last year. As my previous post pointed out a catalytic converter could close a lot of that gap on older cars.

FAQs about road transport and the environment

and

even the estimates are based on owning old cars

now there have been massive reductions in petrol emissions so why not build on that and reuse them?

So reduce, reuse , recycle in that order.

We need to travel less,use vehicles for longer after reducing impact and when the cars are no longer useful we should recycle them. We shouldn't scrap them all and rape the planet for materials to build electric knob extensions for greenies.
                      I wish there were many more who could debate the issues as sensibly as you do. I really don't understand why the motor vehicle is being singled out as the only demon and solutions are only put forward to discredit those who support motor vehicles. Someone on here laughed when I asked if anyone had even attempted to measure the discharge of CO2 when fizzy drinks were consumed, or for that matter how much methane cows discharge. There was much made of the shortage of CO2 in the drinks industry last year. Seems a bit of a contradiction to me.

Comment

Working...
                      X