• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Greta Thunberg

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Battery packs at home, recharged at night to smooth out demand in the day. Pay to charge at night, get paid when you sell back to the grid.
    Battery packs at home
    not really feasible at the moment due to the size of the battery packs. The program I saw on the Tesla showed it used 1000 AA size re-chargeable batteries. That size would have to reduce significantly to be able to be removed and replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      So reduce, reuse , recycle in that order.

We need to travel less,use vehicles for longer after reducing impact and when the cars are no longer useful we should recycle them. We shouldn't scrap them all and rape the planet for materials to build electric knob extensions for greenies.
      I agree with you. That’s why I didn’t say that people with multiple cars should scrap them.
      The claim that it’s more environmentally friendly to own multiple cars, building bigger garages to store them in, buying lots of chemicals to keep all of them clean/tidy/running, compared with only owning one car - that is a stretch that I struggle to accept, and as yet I don’t think your responses have addressed it
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
        When motorbikes (I presume that's your leather reference) are going leccy too (they even race them in their own class at the annual TT) and pushbikes are going hybrid (motor assisted pedalling, handy on hills for normal people), they'll meet in the middle and the lycra will be replaced with leather.

One positive side effect of cars and trucks going driverless is the roads will be safer for bikers. All the automated vehicles will take automated avoiding action when razzing up the road at currently suicidal speed.
        motorbikes
        are a completely different animal as are their riders. For all of the 60+ years that I've ridden, most riders have wanted to make as much noise as possible with their bikes, which would be quite difficult with an electric bike. Yes, I know they are working on making electric cars noisier. We'll have the anti noise society complaining next.

There are also the performance statistics to consider. I think electric propulsion for bikes is some way off if only from a performance perspective. One of Honda's marketing statements was that it's 50cc bikes were the only bike examples which could match their top speed to their capacity. Not sure how heavy an electric bike would have to be to match that. I guess it would weigh more than a 50cc Honda! There's also the range of a 50cc Honda to consider - 100+ mpg!

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
          are a completely different animal as are their riders. For all of the 60+ years that I've ridden, most riders have wanted to make as much noise as possible with their bikes, which would be quite difficult with an electric bike. Yes, I know they are working on making electric cars noisier. We'll have the anti noise society complaining next.
          Yes, strangely enough a loud motorbike and animals tends not to be a good mix, politeness, respect and responsibility are rarely seen these days (they are considered a left wing concept, or “society”), but appreciated.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

How is Threaded these days?
            No idea what this means .... care to elaborate?
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

not really feasible at the moment due to the size of the battery packs. The program I saw on the Tesla showed it used 1000 AA size re-chargeable batteries. That size would have to reduce significantly to be able to be removed and replaced.
              It doesn't matter how big the battery pack is if it's based at home!

FFS, read before you respond you doddering old drain on the planet's resources!
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                I agree with you. That’s why I didn’t say that people with multiple cars should scrap them.
                The claim that it’s more environmentally friendly to own multiple cars, building bigger garages to store them in, buying lots of chemicals to keep all of them clean/tidy/running, compared with only owning one car - that is a stretch that I struggle to accept, and as yet I don’t think your responses have addressed it
                The claim that it’s more environmentally friendly to own multiple cars
                I don't know that anyone is claiming that. What is clearly the case is that keeping whatever vehicle you already have for a longer period, is clearly more environmentally friendly than changing it at the frequency that many do. Many just change out of desire for something different. These days, many fundamentally sound cars are confined to the scrap heap because their monetary value is minimal and minor repairs exceed this value.

I had a Rover 820 back in the 90's that I gave to my brother. He had to scrap it in 2005 as the cost of replacing the electronics was greater than the value of the car. The car was immaculate, both mechanically and bodily. It would have lasted many more years. Granted, back in the 60's, 70's and 80's, cars were perhaps less robust. However, I guess there are still many out there that should be preserved even if it's only to be greener.

Comment

It doesn't matter how big the battery pack is if it's based at home!

FFS, read before you respond you doddering old drain on the planet's resources!
                  so, I misconstrued what you were saying. References that I've seen about battery packs relate to being able to quickly replace what is already in the car to reflect current re-fuelling times.

Comment

so, I misconstrued what you were saying. References that I've seen about battery packs relate to being able to quickly replace what is already in the car to reflect current re-fuelling times.
                    Oi Scoots, you've got competition for back pedalling twunt of the year and its only February!

JTB, you may have peaked too early but I shall be watching your progress over the coming 10 months.
                    Last edited by Zigenare; 6 February 2020, 09:45.
                    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Oi Scoots, you've got competition for back pedalling twunt of the year and its only February!

JTB, you may have peaked to early but I shall be watching your progress over the coming 10 months.
                      for back pedalling
                      no, just admitting that I misconstrued what you meant.

Comment

Working...
                      X